chrome moly

Tom919

I was wondering what the number is for chrome moly nerf bars is I have an older chassis that I am going to need to make new ones for

rule says at min 3/4 diameter steel tubing .065 min thickness. moly is not required , your from indy so moly may be readily available.

We still build them with chromemoly. Most prefer mild steel since it collapses easier and doesn't tend to hurt the frame in a bad crash.

I'd recommend AED on 86th st. for smaller quantities or give us a call, I've got it in stock.

http://www.aedmotorsport.com/

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

ERW is what I use. I've used 4130 on my laydown enduro, but most generally, I use ERW. Around here, 3/4"x .065 4130 is around $4.00 a ft, where as the same in ERW is $22.00 for a 20FT length. If you're in Indy, there should be plenty of places to get it.

The point of using mild steel for Nerf bars is; mild steel will crush on impact, absorbing the impacting force, thus lessening the transfer of the impacting force to the supporting tubing. Better to lose an easily replaced Nerf bar than a frame member.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
(Al Nunley)

Back