cl3 vs cl4 opinions?

ban-one

Does anyone have experience or track time with the cl4 cam? Im debating whether to go with the cl3 cam or the cl4. Im guessing the cl4 is better but Im not sure. We run on a small track with tight corners and looking for good drive off.

two totally different applications. Porting allowed in the AKRA head that’s not allowed in the NKA. So I’m not totally sure it would help or hinder one or the other. I’m sure someone has back to back tested the 3 and 4 in an NKA. It’s probably worth 2-300 rpm up top. Most all these cams are being designed with the emphasis on the mid to top end range of the power band. If it’s a tru tight corner track that’s non momentum like the one I run.... I would look towards a smaller .880 or so diameter pipe and maybe drop a tooth in driver size. That would be a bigger help in my eyes. We run AKRA and use the Vause cams and the BSP4 with the small pipe and they are beasts down low and don’t give much away up top either.

two totally different applications. Porting allowed in the AKRA head that’s not allowed in the NKA. So I’m not totally sure it would help or hinder one or the other. I’m sure someone has back to back tested the 3 and 4 in an NKA. It’s probably worth 2-300 rpm up top. Most all these cams are being designed with the emphasis on the mid to top end range of the power band. If it’s a tru tight corner track that’s non momentum like the one I run.... I would look towards a smaller .880 or so diameter pipe and maybe drop a tooth in driver size. That would be a bigger help in my eyes. We run AKRA and use the Vause cams and the BSP4 with the small pipe and they are beasts down low and don’t give much away up top either.
Ill get back to you on the track. Its an odd set up tighter corners, you have to let off. But the straight aways are a little long. Really a paper clip style track. Im not an engine guy so when you say a small .880 diameter pipe Im not sure what that means. I get killed on exit and top end down the straight. Its like they pull me out of the corners and then they are gone.

Well I've got an older coyote rocket oval kart. Rules are 212 predator engine, no governor stock internals. Its basically a bunch of friends that race. We has external fuel tanks and upgraded air filters, top plates side plats and maybe valve springs. So guys thought must have a cam or something hopping their engines because they are really fast. I think my driver is a 12 and I run a 66 rear. as far as I know none of use use tire prep but im not 100%. I know I dont.

what’s your current setup.. engine and gearing ? What rule set you run under ?
Well I've got an older coyote rocket oval kart. Rules are 212 predator engine, no governor stock internals. Its basically a bunch of friends that race. We has external fuel tanks and upgraded air filters, top plates side plats and maybe valve springs. So guys thought must have a cam or something hopping their engines because they are really fast. I think my driver is a 12 and I run a 66 rear. as far as I know none of use tire prep but im not 100%. I know I dont

if your putting springs in it they are probably camming them too... sounds like your fun racing snowballed out of control real quick. I’d be hesitant to spin those up real high if your still using the stock flywheel. As far as gear goes even on an 1/8 miler your way off with the 12 driver... I’d be on a 14 at least and gear it in the 3.70 ish range. It will be up to you to get it through the corners without scrubbing too much speed off. But that will definitely help you up top. As far as on the bottom end coming off it’s either a case of them being able to manage the corner better and not scrub speed or your just plain out motored.

Ok, Ill try that gear. I'm really open to anything. As far as my engine is concerned its got heavy valve springs but a stock cam. it was like that when I bought it off a guy from the track. Its set up perfect through the corners but just doesn't have the speed.

It really hasnt gotten out of control, there are 10-15 of us and only 2-3 karts are the really fast ones. We start them at the back for the features.

The track is smaller than 1/8 mile. Im going to measure the grove this week sometime.

Yes they are decent drivers and dont srub off speed, but all us other drivers agree that their engines are improved. But we have a 150 dollar claim and they said they would sell their engine or even swap right there on site if we wanted. I figured they've got a better carb and no one has a billet flywheel so i assume they aren't really hopped up.

Back in the day the cl1 was a big improvment . Then the cl2 . After that things progressed rapidly .
It was a good upgrade at the time with a stock engine .

Back