Cleaning Up Casting on Rod?

bomber315

Is it AKRA legal to clean the casting "seam" that runs the length of a stock rod? I'm not looking to polish the rod, because frankly i don't have the time or patience. I just feel like if i cleaned up the seam some it would make it stronger. at least in theory.

Or maybe this is something everyone does and I am dumb for asking it, but a google search didn't return much conversation about it. The rulebook also doesn't say you can't do it. At least that I read.

Compare to known stock part .
Every rule book says it .
Along with , if it doesn't say you can you cant .
They should say , this is what you can do , not what you can't do . . ;)
Your assumption is correct , it will eliminate stress risers and improve the rod . All marks would need to be length wise as well .

$100s of dollars in an engine, $8.95 in the rod.... rules are rules i guess... keeps things interesting since a rod can explode at anytime, even the leader's haha thanks for the reply

$100s of dollars in an engine, $8.95 in the rod.... rules are rules i guess... keeps things interesting since a rod can explode at anytime, even the leader's haha thanks for the reply
I know how it feels, but plenty of racers, myself included are able to get the stock rods to hold up with proper oil clearance. We dont necessarily need the engine cost everyone already complains about to be suddenly $60 higher

But if removing some flashing makes you feel better, just be thoughtful not to make it look too nice!

I have been building this engine from the beginning. I have yet to have a rod go boom on any of my engines personal and customer unless someone didn’t run enough oil and gaulded the rod. On a side note I never resize the rod. There is a process I use to make sure the rod is good to use so don’t think I just throw it in lol

I have been building this engine from the beginning. I have yet to have a rod go boom on any of my engines personal and customer unless someone didn’t run enough oil and gaulded the rod. On a side note I never resize the rod. There is a process I use to make sure the rod is good to use so don’t think I just throw it in lol
Don- I'm very interested in hearing your process on this if you care to share. If not, I understand!

With the crank out of the engine I bolt and torque the rod and piston assembly to the crank with oil on the rod. I then begin spinning it with the end of the crank in one hand and the other end in the other hand. I spin it very vigorously for well over a minute. I then disassemble and do a visual on the rod. If I see any wear across the rod I will double check the crank. If the crank is good I will not use that rod

Back