Clone 10.8 valve spring change

Derrick

So i changed out my clone valve springs and I put everything back the way it needs it be. I put my lash at .001. This is my first time doing this. The engine will start, if hit the gas a couple times and it dies. Smoke comes out the valve case for a sec. And it wont start until maybe 3 or 4 min of letting it set. Its very hard to turn on the compression stroke. So does that mean the exhaust valve is not opening in time. Please help

Had same issue. Flatop said to set them where you can start to spin pushrods with your fingers. I had a thread like this about a month ago. You should be able to find it with the search funtion.

So is the exhaust not opening in time?
If the valves are too loose, the compression release does not function.

Instead of trying to find the correct tdc, I prefer to rotate the engine in the direction it runs, until the exhaust valve just starts to open. Set the intake valve.
Continue rotating until the intake opens, and just starts to close. Set the exhaust.

With the engine at room temperature, set zero lash by rotating the pushrod until it starts to bind. Loosen until it just turns. Lock it down.

If the valves are too loose, the compression release does not function.

Instead of trying to find the correct tdc, I prefer to rotate the engine in the direction it runs, until the exhaust valve just starts to open. Set the intake valve.
Continue rotating until the intake opens, and just starts to close. Set the exhaust.

With the engine at room temperature, set zero lash by rotating the pushrod until it starts to bind. Loosen until it just turns. Lock it down.
If lash is off alittle. Should it still beable to start. Its almost when I get warm is when it shuts off. It sounds like it's idling perfect when I first started I will hit the throttle a couple of times let it idle for maybe 10 15 seconds hit the throttle a couple more times and it will shut off. I was trying to give you a better picture of what's going on. I will try your way tomorrow thank you so much for your help.

Back