Clone air filter adapters

mike97760

Site Supporter
Are there clone air filter adapters that have been proven to flow better than others? Is there a favorite?

Don, the Dover 2 piece is such a nice piece I can't believe it doesn't flow better. In fact Brit(?) himself told me at Carlisle that it doesn't do much, but I told him "I don't believe you, I'm buying it! Haha"

Does the carb limit the flow so bad that it doesn't matter what is before it or what?

Don, the Dover 2 piece is such a nice piece I can't believe it doesn't flow better. In fact Brit(?) himself told me at Carlisle that it doesn't do much, but I told him "I don't believe you, I'm buying it! Haha"

Does the carb limit the flow so bad that it doesn't matter what is before it or what?
I doubt that any aftermarket adapter passes air noticeably better than others but a lot of thought has been put into them. The adapter Jerry Dover sells actually hides the studs and carb mounting nuts and he is a pretty bright guy so I bet there is something is gained there. If not I doubt he would have gone to the trouble to manufacture his. I asked the question because I need to buy one and might as well buy the best, if there is such thing as a 'best' one.

When you add the air filter there is no gain on any adapter. I like the Dover adapter. He now provides different length studs for use on plate engines.

Found my Dover adapter but not the studs to make to mount it properly. Anybody know how long the studs need to be measuring from the head to the outer end? Just being lazy here, I do remember a lot of experimenting to get it right when I used it before.

Send me one of them and I will verify it on my sf60 flowing at 28 inches of water. Don Gordner 130 Stryker Ave Montgomery Pa 17752. You can send me a bill with it if you wish.
We haven't made them in probably 10 years so it may take me a bit to find one. The current one we make is made specifically to improve airflow on our stock appearing. So, unless you want to buy our stock appearing carburetor for testing I'll have to find one for the stock carburetor.

No. That’s ok. You got my attention with your comment about more cfm. I flowed every adapter I could get my hands on but didn’t flow yours. I would have if I knew you had your own. And then again, back then you may not have had it available.

We never released them officially. At the time the stock rules had fixed jets sizes. The filter adaptor picked up the air but leaned out an already lean carburetor enough to lose power. So it was shelved until we made our stock appearing carburetors. You can see by the picture it's not like anything else. We've only tested one other velocity stack that did the same thing and at the time it was owned by Barry Young. Lewis Stout wanted to have a carburetor flow competition at the Southeast Premier Motorsport Expo about 3 years ago. So Barry brought his flow bench. We tested our carburetor that I believe made between 71-75cfm @ 28" depending on which filter adaptor we used.

PK875-Stock-Appearing-Carburetor-1Web.jpg

Curious thing . I remember a post for the kt which stated the flat adapter with the correct radius at the varb entrance . Was as good or better then the funnel shaped style .
Maybe do too lamanar flow

We never released them officially. At the time the stock rules had fixed jets sizes. The filter adaptor picked up the air but leaned out an already lean carburetor enough to lose power. So it was shelved until we made our stock appearing carburetors. You can see by the picture it's not like anything else. We've only tested one other velocity stack that did the same thing and at the time it was owned by Barry Young. Lewis Stout wanted to have a carburetor flow competition at the Southeast Premier Motorsport Expo about 3 years ago. So Barry brought his flow bench. We tested our carburetor that I believe made between 71-75cfm @ 28" depending on which filter adaptor we used.

View attachment 19948
Mark- any chance you guys would make them for the stockers now that we can re-jet and add the fuel needed to take advantage of the extra air? I'd buy some!

Back