Clone class engines and advice

Provff26

I have yet to get my own wka rules copy, and im going to be racing some clone classes next year. My local track is a wka track and they have two different classes. Box stock clone (375+) and champ clone 400+ (also a heavy 425+) . This will be my first year racing at an organized track and would like to enter as many classes as possible. What is the difference between box stock clone and the normal clone class? Im assuming if there is any the only difference would be maybe the cam? Also id like to keep this sport sort of affordable for myself. Its a bigtime drafting track. Me and my father have lots of car engine building experience but none with small engines. We have almost any tool you could need. I know the largest factor is kart setup and driver skill but how feasible is it to build your own engine as opposed to buying one of the big $ engines out there from builders. Pms if necessary dont want anyones secrets getting out haha.

Ps. Thanks in advance love the community here. From my first week to my second this fall you guys got my kart from undriveable to leading half the race my second week before it rained out. You guys are the best. Cheers, miles

darwood112

Build your own. You can get all your engine parts from Dyno cams, Roberts kart shop, etc... If you follow the rules; you'll be just fine. Especially if you've got all the tools. Easy peesy.

Provff26

Thanks darwood do you know anything about the difference in the two classes? If i cant run both classes with the same motor itd be nice to build two and still spend less than buying a single one from a big builder

W5R

Box stock clone classes normally run a 3/4" weenie pipe and stock airbox, shoe clutch, along with billet steel or stock flywheel. Regular clone or Pro Clone classes use any big pipe, aftermarket air filter, disc clutch, and billet aluminum flywheel. The internal parts and tech is basically the exact same rules between the 2 classes

W5R

Dont be afraid to buy yourself a couple of the cheap "Kit" or DIY motors that Dover Power or Dyno Cams sells. Dover Power has some you can get right now on sale for as cheap as $105 for a bare motor that is perfect to start with and build your own. For $210 you have 2 engines to start out with, and for less than $400 more in parts, you can have everything you need to build 2 race ready legal clones, one for box stock and one for the clone/pro clone class. Or you can buy 2 of the race ready clone engines from Dover or Dyno cams and still pay less than you would be paying for one engine from a big name builder. If your just starting out racing, you dont need a big name engine anyways, you need a decent engine and learn how to set up a kart properly and work on learning tires and driving. Tires and chassis setup will get you more wins and podium finishes on a local level than a big name engine will, i guarantee that.

XXX#40

2A supporter
Box stock clone classes normally run a 3/4" weenie pipe and stock airbox, shoe clutch, along with billet steel or stock flywheel. Regular clone or Pro Clone classes use any big pipe, aftermarket air filter, disc clutch, and billet aluminum flywheel. The internal parts and tech is basically the exact same rules between the 2 classes

You might wanna read WKA/AKRA rules to get the definition
Box Stock doesnt allow big pipe and open clutch, Pro Clone does

Provff26

Thanks guys. I was recommended dover by some of the local guys that sometimes run at the "backyard track" near me who usually run the big track ill be racing. I dont believe we are allowed to prep tires at the wka track so kart setup and gearing is the big thing. Ill be starting to strip my kart soon to replace all the bearings, moving parts etc. since it sat on a cement floor for a year before i bought it. Im sure ill have plenty of questions then. Also, either im blind or my technological downsyndrome is kicking in, but i cant seem to find where to order the full wka rulebook on their site. Can anyonr point me in the right direction i just keep finding the updates

sCREamnClones

What you really need is the AKRA rulebook and i believe it's available thru 'Race City' and....'AKRA'. I'm hoping 'somebody' is following this thread and is realizing how difficult it is for 'newbies' too attain this info. Good luck and Welcome too 'Karting'. The info givin above is good-2go. Be patient and keep it simple.

Provff26

Haha tell me about it. I feel like i have a better chance of finding a frickin unicorn than this stupid rulebook lol. I would really like the wka one because thats what every track near me seems to go by and i thought i read somewhere akra has a few different tolerances even though along the same lines. Just dont wana get bagged from building a motor to the wrong specs. I hate cheaters and would rather not be one inadvertently. Ps when is onr of these national karting agencies gona jump on the predator bandwagon. The backyard track we run uses them stock with aftermarket filter and exhaust and damn that some greaaat racing. They keep right up with the blues yellows and some of the animals on our short track. They have some nut to em thats for sure

XXX#40

2A supporter
Haha tell me about it. I feel like i have a better chance of finding a frickin unicorn than this stupid rulebook lol. I would really like the wka one because thats what every track near me seems to go by and i thought i read somewhere akra has a few different tolerances even though along the same lines. Just dont wana get bagged from building a motor to the wrong specs. I hate cheaters and would rather not be one inadvertently. Ps when is onr of these national karting agencies gona jump on the predator bandwagon. The backyard track we run uses them stock with aftermarket filter and exhaust and damn that some greaaat racing. They keep right up with the blues yellows and some of the animals on our short track. They have some nut to em thats for sure
Every track around here uses WKA for animals and flatheads, and AKRA for clone, so you might wanna check the track and be sure

Leave the predators to the local tracks, if what they have is successful no need for a "National" set of rules, for every spec you put on it, the price will increase

flattop1

Dawg 89
gotta watch also for some tracks say wka but use a modified set of rules. wka rules and wka sanctioned are to different things.
rules are not that hard to get wka and ikf you have to join/ be a member .
akra you can purchase.

DynoDon

To my knowledge, you cant get the WKA rule book unless you purchase a tech manual from a supplier. As for the AKRA rule books, they are planned to be ready by the 2nd week of January unbeholding any unforeseen circumstances. Don't h0old me to that. But in the meantime, you can get a rule book for the 2013 rules from me for just the shipping cost and go to the clone forum at the top under the sticky to see what the changes are from the 2013 book to the 2014 book. The sticky is titled " 2014 rules to the printer"

W5R

You might wanna read WKA/AKRA rules to get the definition
Box Stock doesnt allow big pipe and open clutch, Pro Clone does

Did you get me confused with someone else? My post plainly says box stock is weenie pipe and shoe clutch and pro clone is big pipe and disc/open clutch? lol

XXX#40

2A supporter
Did you get me confused with someone else? My post plainly says box stock is weenie pipe and shoe clutch and pro clone is big pipe and disc/open clutch? lol

You said Box Stock runs the stock air box which it doesnt
You also said regular clone runs big pipe and open clutch
There is no regular clone in either rule set.
BSP and pro clone are the only 2

W5R

You said Box Stock runs the stock air box which it doesnt
You also said regular clone runs big pipe and open clutch
There is no regular clone in either rule set.
BSP and pro clone are the only 2

when i said regular clone i meant just plain clone, some tracks list in their payout sheets AKRA Clone and some list AKRA Pro Clone, that is what i meant by regular clone classes. Just about all tracks in Ky that i have been to and seen, run the stock air box in the box stock classes. I have not seen any yet that use the aftermarket air filters in box stock. In my opinion, true box stock classes actually should use the stock airbox and steel flywheels, if they dont then i wouldnt consider that box stock, but i also know that AKRA BSP rules state that it is aftermarket air filter and that aluminum flywheels are allowed as well as big pipe in some places. Not trying to argue with you at all, just saying that around ky most tracks, not all, but most use stock airbox, weenie pipe, shoe clutch and steel flywheels.

If the track he races at uses WKA rules for box stock, then i would assume he needs to build his motor to that specific rule set, which im not really sure what those rules are for box stock to be honest, i just know what the AKRA box stock rules are and what the box stock rules are that most tracks around MY area follow, which is central Ky (J&M, Hillbilly Raceway, Briar Patch, 210 Motorsports, Bourbon City Raceway, Lightning Valley Motorsports, ect...)

XXX#40

2A supporter
when i said regular clone i meant just plain clone, some tracks list in their payout sheets AKRA Clone and some list AKRA Pro Clone, that is what i meant by regular clone classes. Just about all tracks in Ky that i have been to and seen, run the stock air box in the box stock classes. I have not seen any yet that use the aftermarket air filters in box stock. In my opinion, true box stock classes actually should use the stock airbox and steel flywheels, if they dont then i wouldnt consider that box stock, but i also know that AKRA BSP rules state that it is aftermarket air filter and that aluminum flywheels are allowed as well as big pipe in some places. Not trying to argue with you at all, just saying that around ky most tracks, not all, but most use stock airbox, weenie pipe, shoe clutch and steel flywheels.

The OP is from RI and said that they run WKA rules
I know how Jimmy, Lisa, Ed and Vicky run a pure "out of the box stock" classes, for years it was there largest classes
But they are in a minority, I still wish they would change the names of AKRA rules to Stock clone, and let Box stock mean just that.

Dover Power

If they are ruely running by WKA rules then adult class will be Large Pipe.. If a restricted class then weinie pipe. AKRA is what I think they are running and it could be either.. We are sending quite a fw eines,, kits and arts into that ara and both pipes are being sold.. Thiers like only 4 tracks in a 3 state area..

No I did not aswer the question but hope I shedded so light on the issue...

WKA does not reconize Pro or Amature clases.. Its all about age.