Clone clutch engagement?

Emc2

I’ve been reading post here in the forum and it seems like most are engaging the clutch at 3800-3900 rpm for the clones. What is the reason for the lower engagement vs. engaging at the max torque number? Thanks

By the way I set ours up at 4200-4300 rpm, red springs, weight on inside of each lever . This is what bully recommends for set up.

3600-3800 is usually max torque on a clone. some are higher its best to ask your builder if you don't have access to dyno numbers. Miller tells me 4000 on his

The total reason relates to what happens at peak torque.

Peak torque is the maximum amount of torque your engine is capable of producing.

Engaging the clutch at or above peak torque ensures you are utilizing the most torque available to get your load (kart) moving.

Engaging above peak torque means as rpm drops, torque increases, but the clutch is letting go.
Below peak torque, rpm drops, torque drops, and you lose any advantage peak torque could give you.

Engaging at, or slightly above peak torque allows you take advantage of the torque your engine is capable of.

Energy lost thru slippage of the clutch is dissipated as heat, a known enemy of clutch life.

Hope that helps.

Edit:
The above posts are great advice, just thought you should know the reasoning.

I go by peak torque of the engine -- that's where your builder will tell you to bring it in.
There's some argument about heavy and super heavy classes and being above peak torque -- I'll just say to experiment and go with what works best for you. Keep in mind that with rolling starts, your clutch should already be engaged BEFORE the green flag falls.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

38-3900 is the range most normal clones will work well with. Engines with more bottom end will get away with the clutches being set a touch lower, engines with the power band manipulated higher will complain about their clutches/acceleration until you back them up into the low 4000's.

I'm amazed every day by some that think you control a clutch like a clutch in a manual car transmission. Once its engaged it "should" stay engaged. The only thing that controls acceleration after that point is the engine.

I believe the mechanics of it in the inner hole help the clutch to disengage easier as the weight is on the nose rather than the tail over the pressure plate. Outer hole is the norm on dirt, once the clutch is engaged during a run very seldom is it fully disengaged until its over or under caution. Sprint racing where the rpm drops would be more I'd think it would effect the clutch more noticeably.

So would we wound be better served to move the weights back to the outside holes and lower the engagement to 3900-4000.

Back