clone dies when you turn choke off

wilson57

buddys got a new clone and it dies when you turn the choke off timings advanced some wms square pump 38 jet any ideas I dunno if he got the key in the right way so that's on him
thanks again

Put a bigger jet in until in runs with out choke then adjust idle screw to the right rpm.

Or take the carb off and clean with carb cleaner.

I assume you are getting enough fuel to the carb????

It appears that you're getting fuel, because it runs if you choke it, you're just not getting enough fuel. You need to find out why it's not getting enough. I would start at the fuel tank and worked my way through to, and through, the carburetor. There must be some kind of blockage somewhere. I say that because a lot of people are using a .038" jet, it should be enough to allow the engine to run.

I've heard of people having trouble with the mounting of the carburetor. An air leak can be an elusive thing.

If you can run the engine with the choke, that tells me you are pulling enough fuel for it to start. When you take the choke off and it quits running, that tells me you have lost the vacum needed to keep the low side fuel delivery as needed. Or, you have a blockage in the low side circut.. The .038 jet has nothing to do with it. I have had to change the black plate several times (one this week as a matter of fact) to get one to work. Looking at it I havent found anything wrong with it but it went in the trash.

I had this happen to me after I cleaned the carb..The carb cleaner destroyed the o ring on the low speed jet. Put a new jet with good o ring and ran like a top!! Also had a day where I forgot to spray air filter with oil during the week and sprayed it at the track. Motor would not run right at all would not idle to save its butt!! Checked everything cleaned carb looked for air leaks checked gaskets and finally pulled air filter and started it and ran great!

Back