Clone EGT temps

Bandit1

Always ran EGT on my flatheads so that’s what my tach is setup for. Any thoughts on what they should be on this clone?
Thanks

There are several things to consider. I started using the EGT when I built my first dyno in 1985. I have a lot of experience.
Essentially, bottom line is, you want the temperature to be as high as possible. If you get too lean, you get detonation, and the exhaust temperature will go down. What that temperature is depends on several things, chief amongst them, the octane of the fuel your running. Low octane fuel, under identical conditions, tends to peak at a lower temperature. Location of the sensor has an effect. The compression ratio has an effect. The air density has an effect. On the 2 cycle, the exhaust has an effect, but that doesn't concern you.
You're mainly interested in getting the highest EGT readings you can, both coming off the corner, (they will be lower there) on the starts, and on the top end. Don't think that the EGT goes up because it takes too long for it to record the temperature. It is very quick. Just shy of instantaneous. Maybe not that fast, but fast. That temperature you see coming off the corner, is what it is. A book with lots of pictures would help. If you try to compare EGT readings to CHT readings, you'll get very confused.

Back