Clone Engine Rebuilds

How many times can an engine be rebuilt, if not infinitely? Is an engine with 2 rebuilds better than en engine with 4 rebuilds?

Quick answer to your question 1. The condition of the cylinder wall in the block tells you whether you want to reuse it,replace it , or have it bored. Boring the block has a few tiny advantages with a small increase of displacement and compression ratio but unless you have your own boring bar the expense is more than replacing the block. 2 with the cylinder head it depends on how far the three angled valve job was pushed to the Ragged Edge initially, even then you probably could get away with two or three touch ups to the seats unless the valve guides get too much wear then you need to replace the head. If the head was basically stock as far as the valve job goes and the guides are worn you can replace the guides no problem.

Given that I am new to the sport... I do not know enough about engines, to accurately make a judgement on any of the things mentioned by everyone (I appreciate everyone's answers)... so, my next question is... if you found a used engine online or at the track, could you call the engine builder and ask him about the condition of the engine during the last rebuild, and expect an honest answer? Obviously, that would depend on the builder, but lets assume it's a reputable name.

Clone engines can be rebuilt to infinity because every part is cheap and can be replaced. If you throw a rod through the block you can buy a new block and rod cheap and build it again.

Given that I am new to the sport... I do not know enough about engines, to accurately make a judgement on any of the things mentioned by everyone (I appreciate everyone's answers)... so, my next question is... if you found a used engine online or at the track, could you call the engine builder and ask him about the condition of the engine during the last rebuild, and expect an honest answer? Obviously, that would depend on the builder, but lets assume it's a reputable name.
Since you're new to the sport my honest suggestion to you would be forget buying a used engine online call Box Stock Products and for between 300 to $400 you'll end up with a brand new everything race ready that will run as fast as you need to go for starters. There are well-qualified people that work there.I've Dyno these engines they're good, you'll save money and a lot of brain damage not going the used online route. Time and money to spend on other newbie needs.

^^^ true.
You could expect a honest answer . But it would have had too have been recent and the builder would probably have to have a pretty good relationship with the person. Not just a one time customer . If its been 6-8 or more months he can't say what's been done once it leaves the shop , reliabley.

Back