Clone engine setup

OVALTECH1

Site Supporter
Is there a chart for the clone motors like they had on the Flatheads that showed timing setup using the flywheel marks in association with piston in the hole? I always liked having that chart as a reference guide.

I sell a gauge that uses a dial indicator in the spark plug hole to see what the timing is based on where the flywheel fires on the magnet. I use it a lot on the Dyno.

I need to look at my last invintory receipts. I haven't built any for a while. Last ones sold for $50. Full instructions. Easy to use

I don't see any in the hole charts . Some one would need to take time to build one . The its dependent on deck height and stroke . Such a chart would give you a reference , though not 100% accurate. .

I'm sure yours would be Don .
Lets Qualify my statement , not may published charts that I am aware of .
The tool would be very handy , with Quite likely more then one use .

What I did to make sure I was correct was took a reading at every degree on the degree wheel and documented that with the reading on the dial indicator. So if you know where the firing point is on the flywheel in relationship to the coil you no longer need a degree wheel. I use it on the Dyno all the time. I never gave my chart away unless I sell the gauge.

Degree wheel and timing light are foolproof.
It is a very simple way to set timing, Has nothing to do with stroke, deck height, or any thing else. The only thing you really need to do is find TDC. Timing light will show you exactly where the coil fires on the flywheel. NOT close, exact. You can use it on any engine that has spark plugs. That is how they set timing on funny cars and lawnmowers. and everything in between.
Once you set timing this way, You will never go back.
I use a 1970s Sears Craftsman timing light and homemade degree wheel. But you can buy degree wheels for 18 to 100 dollars. The 18 dollar one is just as accurate.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cam+degr...efix=degree+wheel,aps,175&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_12

What I did to make sure I was correct was took a reading at every degree on the degree wheel and documented that with the reading on the dial indicator. So if you know where the firing point is on the flywheel in relationship to the coil you no longer need a degree wheel. I use it on the Dyno all the time. I never gave my chart away unless I sell the gauge.

I need to call the company today and order some collars for the dial indicator. Once I get the cost on that item I'll be able to get back with you.

There seems to be a few who are skeptical about the tool and that's ok. I don't care if I sell any or not. I didn't design it to get rich, just to help me with knowledge on the Dyno and at the track. I am going to take this conversation over to the business forum and continue the explanation over there.

Back