Clone exhaust options

I'm surprised the southern express exhaust did not come up more in conversation. It is king of the hill with animals around these parts.

What works well with an animal might work the complete opposite with a clone, the only real way to tell is to have a dyno day and test all the different pipes. Or have a track day, take a good stop watch with you and see which one gives you the fastest lap times. The fastest times would obviously mean you have found the pipe that best fits your engine. That is, given that you have the right tires on the kart for track conditions at the time of testing, and keep up with the track conditions changing and compensate with tires and air. Dyno would take the tires and track out of the equation though

I understand this. We were just looking to see if anyone has tested pipes in detail. We don't even bother going to the track without a good set of tires and a kart that is capable of winning races. We have done "on track testing" with our animal and found the seks to work the best. In was looking to try to cut a few corners persay by asking this simple question. I'm trying to get my club to start a new class because we are forced to use that stupid little pipe that does nothing but cause head gasket issues. Keep the thread going everyone seems to have good input. Cheers.

Rapp .930 or .990, SEK .930, I have them all and there isn't much difference at all on my dyno. I just ran a Predator with a .990 Rapp, and it showed a peak of 25.9 at 7300, and still showed 24 at 9200

Sounds like the 'porting' is progressing well! Is that a hemi or conventional head?

What works well with an animal might work the complete opposite with a clone, the only real way to tell is to have a dyno day and test all the different pipes. Or have a track day, take a good stop watch with you and see which one gives you the fastest lap times. The fastest times would obviously mean you have found the pipe that best fits your engine. That is, given that you have the right tires on the kart for track conditions at the time of testing, and keep up with the track conditions changing and compensate with tires and air. Dyno would take the tires and track out of the equation though
...and Driver! :)

I understand this. We were just looking to see if anyone has tested pipes in detail. We don't even bother going to the track without a good set of tires and a kart that is capable of winning races. We have done "on track testing" with our animal and found the seks to work the best. In was looking to try to cut a few corners persay by asking this simple question. I'm trying to get my club to start a new class because we are forced to use that stupid little pipe that does nothing but cause head gasket issues. Keep the thread going everyone seems to have good input. Cheers.
(?)....How do you get..."that stupid little pipe" too last long-enough to have 'hd gasket issues"?? (never seen/heard of such)

I need it all up top. Don't care about down bottom. I have the southern express on my animal and it rips. It is the most expensive but if you want to be up front that's what it takes. I am new to the clones and really don't know what pipe would work best for my situation. Btw I do not build my own motors
Contact your engine builder.

(?)....How do you get..."that stupid little pipe" too last long-enough to have 'hd gasket issues"?? (never seen/heard of such)

I have yet to have one break or see one break lol. Maybe the ones we are getting around here are better quality? They are made of chromoly steel, i use my pipe as a handle to carry my engine around when it isnt on the kart, that should say enough about the strength and quality of them itself! I have yet to see anyone having head gasket issues just because of the exhaust pipe they are using either, most head gasket issues in my experience were caused by high temps more than anything else.

We change the head gasket every 3 races. They blow like crazy with the little pipe. We did not have that issue with the big pipe. The only time I see them break is when you hog out the inside of the pipe. Remember it's one thing to lose a race because you got out driven, it's another story to lose a race that your capable of winning do to a mechanical failure.

If you are blowing head gaskets that often you have a problem. Either your jetting is too lean, timing too high causing very hot CHT or the head/top of the block is warped. What is your CHT running at...?

I have yet to have one break or see one break lol. Maybe the ones we are getting around here are better quality? They are made of chromoly steel, i use my pipe as a handle to carry my engine around when it isnt on the kart, that should say enough about the strength and quality of them itself! I have yet to see anyone having head gasket issues just because of the exhaust pipe they are using either, most head gasket issues in my experience were caused by high temps more than anything else.

^^ I agree. I did a engine for a guy the first of last year, it had a bad cracked weenie pipe on it, but it didn't have a brace. I welded it up, he put a brace on it, and ran the entire season with no further issues. The brace is important on the weenie pipe too.

Back