Clone flywheel

The PVL wins the price war but only has 28 degrees of timing built in. The ARC is a far nicer and as far as I’m concerned a safer bet and it comes with 32 degrees timing built in.

The PVL wins the price war but only has 28 degrees of timing built in. The ARC is a far nicer and as far as I’m concerned a safer bet and it comes with 32 degrees timing built in.
It also weighs a few less ounces. You can even buy an ultra light vesrsion that uses your stock plastic fan blades and weighs less than 2lbs.

AKRA and NKA rules mandate a minimum weight of 5 lbs 4 oz including plastic fins
Don- I'm pretty sure I Just read it was 3lbs 4oz? 5lbs was the old Flathead MIN spec.... I don't have my AKRA manual in front of me at the moment...

EDIT- ARC states "Flywheel weight 3.4lbs AKRA/NKA legal Box Stock Class"

Don- I'm pretty sure I Just read it was 3lbs 4oz? 5lbs was the old Flathead MIN spec.... I don't have my AKRA manual in front of me at the moment...

EDIT- ARC states "Flywheel weight 3.4lbs AKRA/NKA legal Box Stock Class"
Yes,. I mistakenly quoted the steel

Let’s talk acceleration on take off coming to get the green,you see some take off like they’ve been shot out of a cannon and I no there is a “”LOT “” to think about number one is a good clutch maybe air pressure driver the list can go on but my question is does the flywheel have a big bearing on this after talking with a few racers they claim a lot of it is a lighter flywheel will make a big difference any Truth to this I no in the flathead days you tried to get the lightest flywheel that’s legal lol

Let’s talk acceleration on take off coming to get the green,you see some take off like they’ve been shot out of a cannon and I no there is a “”LOT “” to think about number one is a good clutch maybe air pressure driver the list can go on but my question is does the flywheel have a big bearing on this after talking with a few racers they claim a lot of it is a lighter flywheel will make a big difference any Truth to this I no in the flathead days you tried to get the lightest flywheel that’s legal lol
I strongly agree with lighter being better for acceleration/takeoff! Especially in the restricted classes!

We have motors setup for different tracks and the length of the race if it’s a long track or a long race we will sacrifice take off for momentum that’s why after a couple laps you see us buzz by you

Everyone talks about flywheel weight but no one talks about where the weight is. The PVL weighs more but it's weight is concentrated close to the crank in the steel part. The outer part is very light cast aluminum with lots of voids. Where as the ARC, King and other all billet wheels the weight is concentrated in the outer part of the wheel and is solid. The centers of these are much lighter than the PVL. I believe it's more important to look at design over weight.

Everyone talks about flywheel weight but no one talks about where the weight is. The PVL weighs more but it's weight is concentrated close to the crank in the steel part. The outer part is very light cast aluminum with lots of voids. Where as the ARC, King and other all billet wheels the weight is concentrated in the outer part of the wheel and is solid. The centers of these are much lighter than the PVL. I believe it's more important to look at design over weight.
That is a great point! Rotating mass at the center vs the outer has to have some effects on engine acceleration and recovery even though likely minute, still a useful tuning tool.

What about Raceing flywheels ? I have a couple of them . Sorry if I misspelled it . I don't know if you can still get any of them , but I really like them .

Back