clone head casting # ?

dirttrax

New to clones. Got a clone head in a buy out. The casting on it says JT-08-12-82
What does that mean? Is it a good or bad casting etc, thanks

ahh yes, sorry. Made in December 2008 is what that means.

Dont believe that is right either, I have never heard of the casting number having anything to do with dates they were made. New castings had random numbers up until the heads started coming with 3 digit numbers only, like JT 151, JT 172, ECT..

Dont believe that is right either, I have never heard of the casting number having anything to do with dates they were made. New castings had random numbers up until the heads started coming with 3 digit numbers only, like JT 151, JT 172, ECT..

December 2008. Believe it or not, factories don't just put "random numbers" on their castings. And they still have the "JT-month-year-casting number" on the outside of the head, not only a three (or two) digit number inside.

December 2008. Believe it or not, factories don't just put "random numbers" on their castings. And they still have the "JT-month-year-casting number" on the outside of the head, not only a three (or two) digit number inside.

The heads i have been seeing recently have JT followed by a single 3 digit number on the outside, and the same 3 digit number on the inside between the rocker studs....I am thinking you havent seen a new head in awhile maybe? If what your saying is correct, then what month/year are JT-05, JT-06 or JT-172 heads supposed to be made in? I have all 3 of those heads and all 3 of them have exactly what i wrote on the back, all 3 are legal AKRA clone heads that came on engines built by an engine builder and have passed tech at some point. This is why i dont agree with your post, The JT-05 and JT-06 heads didnt come out until a couple of years ago, 3 at the most, but by your post, it would mean they came out in 2005 and 2006, correct? Not trying to argue with you, im trying to make sense of where you are coming up with these numbers having anything to do with the date they were made

The heads i have been seeing recently have JT followed by a single 3 digit number on the outside, and the same 3 digit number on the inside between the rocker studs....I am thinking you havent seen a new head in awhile maybe? If what your saying is correct, then what month/year are JT-05, JT-06 or JT-172 heads supposed to be made in? I have all 3 of those heads and all 3 of them have exactly what i wrote on the back, all 3 are legal AKRA clone heads that came on engines built by an engine builder and have passed tech at some point. This is why i dont agree with your post, The JT-05 and JT-06 heads didnt come out until a couple of years ago, 3 at the most, but by your post, it would mean they came out in 2005 and 2006, correct? Not trying to argue with you, im trying to make sense of where you are coming up with these numbers having anything to do with the date they were made

It would not mean they came out in 2005 and 2006. What I said was that the first two of the set of three numbers represent the date, the 3rd has nothing to do with date. By your logic what would a JT-172 be? The third number is merely the mold number.

I am looking at a JT 162 that on the outside says "JT-14-06-162", made in June of 2014, and mold ID is 162.

Our JT172 heads have the code on the outside. I have a JT172 here now that says "JT-14-10-172" on the outside (Oct 2014), and a 173 that says "JT-14-10-173".

Maybe some heads do not have the 3 number code stamped on the outside, but on the ones that do, the first two numbers of the set of three represent date.

Either way, Speed Karts Inc. has ample stock of JT 173 and JT 162, and limited stock remaining of the JT 172. Engine builders have told me that the 162 flows neck and neck with the JT 151 that everyone thinks is the cat's meow. The JT 151 was made in January of 2013 by the way.

We do have some newer heads en route that we will have very soon and will be different mold numbers than JT 07 and JT 05. I'll be interested to see whether or not they have the set of 3 numbers stamped on the outside. Maybe you are right and sometime after October 2014 they stopped date-stamping cylinder heads. I'll report back.

Back