Clone heads

Captain flathead.....do you own an air flow bench yet?......have you flow tested all these yet?......and spent months and moths finding the angles that flow best?.....I have......looking at all the angles and seat widths from the cutters shown you will soon find how shockingly bad these flow, they look junk to me......don't be sucked into a toy because it looks so cool.
Yes on the flow bench, use it very little now days compared to in the past. And I never mentioned what I am using for a cutter. I also never got sucked into anything i didn't want to be sucked into. And i don't let myself be bedazzled by max lift flow numbers alone. In a previous post I might have mentioned average flow across the entire lift range. These engines in stock rule form do not have enough lift to really stall the port. The possibility exists that a valve job that flows bad a .350 lift might be great at ..150-.200 lift. Just maybe. I have attended quite a few rodeos in my day.

How often are you guys finding the seat angles getting checked in tech? Do they actually look for and validate the mandated 30/45/60* as stated in the rule book?

I am sure the angles get checked. But it does seem there is alot of the tech procedure of the month going around. One month everywhere you go they are checking emulsion tubes, next month everyone is on ring tension, next month it changes to something new, and almost every tech guy checking that one thing everywhere.

I am sure the angles get checked. But it does seem there is alot of the tech procedure of the month going around. One month everywhere you go they are checking emulsion tubes, next month everyone is on ring tension, next month it changes to something new, and almost every tech guy checking that one thing everywhere.
That is so correct... seems there is a new "favorite" tech item each month. Although I still see valve springs as the major one and half the guys can't properly even tech them!

Well, that is a baited question. Meaning all the alligators out there will take a bite out of me if I answer incorrectly. So here is how I inspect it. It is a visual inspection. There is no tool to use for inspection. You know that. However, I have seen thousands of seats in my lifetime. It is difficult to determine the 60 and I know that many are doing 70. As for the 30 and 45, I have not seen anyone manipulating those angles. If I find seats that are butchered I have three valves cut to 30,45,60. I also have the machinist red dye. If need be I will start lapping. I guarantee that if I say it is out of spec, it is out of spec.

Well, that is a baited question. Meaning all the alligators out there will take a bite out of me if I answer incorrectly. So here is how I inspect it. It is a visual inspection. There is no tool to use for inspection. You know that. However, I have seen thousands of seats in my lifetime. It is difficult to determine the 60 and I know that many are doing 70. As for the 30 and 45, I have not seen anyone manipulating those angles. If I find seats that are butchered I have three valves cut to 30,45,60. I also have the machinist red dye. If need be I will start lapping. I guarantee that if I say it is out of spec, it is out of spec.
Sounds fair to me

A 45 valve on a 46 seat will not seal nearly as well as a 45 seat and a 46 valve.

How do you determine a 1 degree difference on the valve Don?
Here is how I do it, step by step.

1) take high resolution close up photo of the valve in question.

2) take high resolution photo of a large framing square.

3) blow up valve photo by 250%

4) shrink framing square photo to 75% of original size.

5) use photo shop to superimpose or overlay framing square photo onto photo of valve in the correct location as to use the square photo to verify 45 deg on the valve.

6a) alternate method: take the valve photo and blow it up to about as large a printer paper.

6b) print photo.

6c) use framing square directly on photo to verify 45 deg angle.

I hope this clears up any confusion. I always bring a digital camera, a laptop, framing square, and a good quality printer with me to the tech barn.

Last edited:
Here is how I do it, step by step.

1) take high resolution close up photo of the valve in question.

2) take high resolution photo of a large framing square.

3) blow up valve photo by 250%

4) shrink framing square photo to 75% of original size.

5) use photo shop to superimpose or overlay framing square photo onto photo of valve in the correct location as to use the square photo to verify 45 deg on the valve.

6a) alternate method: take the valve photo and blow it up to about as large a printer paper.

6b) print photo.

6c) use framing square directly on photo to verify 45 deg angle.

I hope this clears up any confusion. I always bring a digital camera, a laptop, framing square, and a good quality printer with me to the tech barn.
There it is a new tech procedure ready to go.

Back