Clone money racing

Hey guys, so I’m looking to start running the pro clone 390 class since it seems that’s where a person has the opportunity, key word here is OPPORTUNITY, to win some decent money and need to know which engine is the best to start out with to build (I cannot afford a $ $800-1000 engine so have to build my own) and where can I find the rules for what can and cannot be done to the engine. I’m looking to run at places like liberty, jug house, state line , pretty much anywhere in North Carolina. Thanks for any help.

Theres a 2021 rule book. The rules are very explicit and limited as far as what you can do for modifications which means the engine shops are building the bulk of the motors due to the fact they have the equipment and knowledge to push every little edge as far as legally possible. I'd love to be able to put a competitive clone motor out front but home building a clone is pretty much taking a knife to a gun fight.

Theres a 2021 rule book. The rules are very explicit and limited as far as what you can do for modifications which means the engine shops are building the bulk of the motors due to the fact they have the equipment and knowledge to push every little edge as far as legally possible. I'd love to be able to put a competitive clone motor out front but home building a clone is pretty much taking a knife to a gun fight.
I kinda figured this much but I’m not trying to go out and set the world on fire the first few races, I just want to go out and learn as much as I can and then maybe if the funds allow buy a engine from a reputable builder for next year.

Most of those tracks will be NKA, but it's one or the other AKRA, as mentioned taking a knife to a gun fight is only going to hold you back, racing in pro clone you better be on your tire game.

I kinda giggled when I read he was gonna build his own, and a chance to win money.
I see disappointment in his future
You must have missed where I put “OPPORTUNITY” in all caps…to win, besides this is temporary just so I can get out there and run and learn setup, tire prep etc until I can afford to get one of my local builders engines.

You must have missed where I put “OPPORTUNITY” in all caps…to win, besides this is temporary just so I can get out there and run and learn setup, tire prep etc until I can afford to get one of my local builders engines.
So your good with running a year or 2 before you win money?

If you want to build your own, in my opinion, the stuff from Box Stock Project is very good to begin with. Let me explain.

Firstly, their prices are about the best you'll find, and Donnie is very knowledgeable about the sport and the engines and parts he sells. So if you have particular question about something, he knows what he's talking about.

Secondly, valve train: The standard engine from Box Stock comes with some of the lightest valve train components on the market. This is a very important part of building an open engine. As the light weight valve train parts will help you realize max rpm with the 10.8 springs. You will need to buy the short performance valves in addition to the engine as they are not supplied with it.

Good luck.

Then simply run the regular clone classes rules are the same, once your winning most top 3 always then step up to try pro clone, you'll save enough $$$$$$$ in entry fees to buy that motor from a good builder.

Good Luck !!

You have been given some good advise. You'll quickly find out how competitive the pro classes are and in short you will likely be at a disadvantage on a home built engine vs a racer on a professional built engine. If your budget doesn't allow for $800+ for an engine what is your tire budget?

I suggest following RP's advise above and run the regular classes until your consistently running up front and can match the lap times of the pro class.

You have been given some good advise. You'll quickly find out how competitive the pro classes are and in short you will likely be at a disadvantage on a home built engine vs a racer on a professional built engine. If your budget doesn't allow for $800+ for an engine what is your tire budget?

I suggest following RP's advise above and run the regular classes until your consistently running up front and can match the lap times of the pro class.
Tire budget is what I was getting at, he cant afford a built engine, then there's no way to keep up with guys that spend thousands on tires

you will spend more than 1000.00 to win a 1000.00 purse. if you are not on par with the racers in the front you will probably loose money in torn up equipment battling knuckleheads for 15th place.
I would guess even the hotshots traveling around looking for $1000-3000 purse races and winning a handful here and there a year are still in the hole and they have way more invested than motors.
for the cheapest form of motor sport I sure do spend a lot of money and i'm a cheapskate

Then simply run the regular clone classes rules are the same, once your winning most top 3 always then step up to try pro clone, you'll save enough $$$$$$$ in entry fees to buy that motor from a good builder.

Good Luck
Jimmy rivers has a nice kit he sells that you assemble.
Which motor is the best to start a build with? The ones with the yellow covers?
If you want to build your own, in my opinion, the stuff from Box Stock Project is very good to begin with. Let me explain.

Firstly, their prices are about the best you'll find, and Donnie is very knowledgeable about the sport and the engines and parts he sells. So if you have particular question about something, he knows what he's talking about.

Secondly, valve train: The standard engine from Box Stock comes with some of the lightest valve train components on the market. This is a very important part of building an open engine. As the light weight valve train parts will help you realize max rpm with the 10.8 springs. You will need to buy the short performance valves in addition to the engine as they are not supplied with it.

Good luck.
Which block is best to start a build with? The engines with the yellow covers?

Back