Clone motor issues

Brill96

I’ve got a clone motor that I bought used with a Jr 1 green restrictor in it, ran it in a parking lot so my driver could get some practice before racing. The motor seemed to run fine.
He’s going to be running in Jr 2 so I changed out the restrictor and jet recommended for that size plate before we went to practice again. Now the motor doesn’t idle at a consistent rpm, kinda revs up and down on its own. Also when we give it throttle it goes forward then dies immediately almost like its starving for fuel.

I don’t know much about these motors so I figured I’d try getting some info and ideas on a possible solution before having to take the motor up to the “builder” later this week.

All the gaskets that we’re on it looked good unless maybe they are wore out and just need replaced. Had a black gasket before the plate, a green paper one after the plate and then a bronze-ish colored with a black rubber portion around it before the carb went back on.

Sounds like I mixed up the order of all the gaskets, I’ll move the bronze gasket and see what it does. I believe the way it is now that gasket is covering up the small hole on the upper left and I didn’t think that was right.

That'll do it and make SURE none of the gaskets are torn with a plate motor, apparently that will get you DQ'd real quick, ask me how I know...

Back