Clone Rebuild Question

Need some opionions from guys that build. I have 2 clones that have been sitting a couple of years built new in 2012 and ran a few times are these motors worth refreshing and updating or have newer parts passed them up?

Plate clones had a big change from '12 rules to '13 with no stock flywheel, so there's a ~ $100 for an aluminum flywheel.
3 angle valve jobs & low tension rings are now legal.
My '12 plate clone is still running after 2 rebuilds in the $300 range each.

How does what the previous builder charged have any affect on whether or not the motors are worth rebuilding or freshing up, Flattop? Thats a first for me on that one.

No reason at all your engines can't be updated and ran again as long as they are done right and are legal. If the engines were built new and only ran a few times, then just sit for a couple years, they aren't gonna be worn out beyond the point of being rebuilt. Just send them to the builder of your choice and have them updated for the current rule set, thats about all you really can do if you aren't sure they are legal now. Cam, pipe and flywheel would be my concerns if it were me pulling a couple of 2012 engines out of the dust and planning to run them again. Safe bet would be to send them to be updated unless you know how to check them for legality and know what your doing and what your looking at

I think what flattop meant was if a builder was going to rape him on labor and pricing then it might be wise to purchase new. I know there are some who charge in the 300 dollar range for just labor. As for cam, he probably has a cam that is good. There isn't anyone on here that is bragging about any one particular cam that has surfaced in the last three years. I am still on the CL-2 and the twin to it by BSP and my motors are winning. Flywheel is of concern if it hasn't been changed out. they are selling for 60 bucks. If they were fresh and only have a few races on them as he has said, then the engines should only need a refresh. $125.00/$150.00 labor; flywheel $60.00; parts $50.00; Misc; $50.00. Ball park of $310.00 on the high side; $285.00 on the low side. Better than $650.00 or more for a new one.

First thing I would do is remove the head and see if the cylinders are rusted to far to be able to be cleaned up . Assuming everything is good , and not rusted or damaged in any way , I would go ahead and use them with updated parts for the class you are using them in .

if the block is good that is pretty much the only thing you'll be reusing. you'll replace every thing to bring it up to date to new rules and fresh parts. there really isn't much to a clone.

Just my Opinion here but aren't some of you here over thinking this ? Is he running a Saturday night shootout or the Daytona 500 ? Just a good local show heck I'd see if it had a legal flywheel and run it. I have a 12 motor that is every BT as good or better than my up to date all the new goodies over priced over thought 2015 legal motor. My opinion run it save the money buy tires.

Back