Clone refresh ?

which sometimes coincides with your normally colored oil getting a nice metal flake flash and or the dark cast iron swirly.... lol! And the fatigued springs make it hard to find TDC.... if experiencing any of these ....... it went too long

Some pretty good advice, might I add, buy a "good" compression checker, check it often. Compression is the "Holy Grail".

I have been building these engines for years and never use a compression gauge. Leakdown is the holy grail
"Leak down" is a very good way of checking things, no doubt. It'll tell you why you have no compression, or just lower compression, whether it's the rings or the valves, but it's not a two-minute task like checking the compression pressure with a gauge.

"Leak down" is a very good way of checking things, no doubt. It'll tell you why you have no compression, or just lower compression, whether it's the rings or the valves, but it's not a two-minute task like checking the compression pressure with a gauge.
however it is much more precise then a 12 year old pulling the rope vs a 50 year old pulling the rope on a compression gauge. or checking it with a dead starter vs. a charged up starter

5 to 7 race nites on the head we usually 20 nites on short block
Are you really seeing a drop in power after 7 races??? Im assuming you are just lapping the valves and New springs but have you actually seen a drop in dyno numbers or a increase in lap times? Seems excessive on todays modern clones.

We've been going 18-20 races with 1 spring change and if I get the tires right, we're still winning lol.

Id be more concerned about current updates rather than the number of shows. If racing higher caliber of competition you would have a hard time wearing out the engine before it needed updates.

Back