Clone restrictor plate basics

Blwallace5

Hi all, very new to this so bear with me. I purchased a second hand clone that had a purple restrictor plate on it. After removing the restrictor plate I got a sizeable gas leak out of the back of the carb.

Do I need a different carb to run unrestricted, or would this leak just be from overfueling? I haven’t changed any jets or done any adjustments, simply removed the plate. I’m trying to learn by doing, but if anybody could point me to some helpful resources I’m certainly willing to self serve from that point.

Yes and no.... you probably got the leak by tearing a gasket or the line came lose. You can run a plate carb open and it will run (ok). There is metering and jet differences in the plate and non restricted carbs. If it’s gonna be a non restricted motor I would get the proper carb down the road.

Thanks oval tech, I did plan on ordering new gaskets as the current ones were stuck on like cement. And the fuel line from the pump to the car has different sized fittings so on the carb side it has an adapter that did seem too easy to remove so maybe it was running down the backside.

My first thought was the plate as the stream just seemed so perfectly placed when I removed it, I will rebuild and try again!

The atmospheric vent is on the engine side of the carb, if the needle a seat are not sealing the bowl overfill and leaks through the vent. The only gasket in the carb that would like raw fuel is the O ring on the bowl, you did not say you removed the bowl.

The atmospheric vent is on the engine side of the carb, if the needle a seat are not sealing the bowl overfill and leaks through the vent. The only gasket in the carb that would like raw fuel is the O ring on the bowl, you did not say you removed the bowl.
Great info! I will definitely check that out, as it’s definitely from the engine side and coming directly out of the notch at the bottom. I did not remove the bowl.

Back