Clone RPM question

Wacomike04

I just bought a clone engine. I am brand new to Karting and have chosen to race on dirt here in Michigan.

When I installed the motor on my 2006 PRC Phenom I warmed it up and then it topped out on the tach at 6830 on the kart stand. I understand that when I am in the kart and the wheels aren't free spinning without any weight or friction from the track, my rpms will drop.

Is 6830 rpms good on the kart stand? I am reading that 6600 is good for running at in the "safe zone".

How many rpms will a kart lose from running free on a kart stand vs when it's put under load on a track?

Thanks,
Michael Frizzelle

Its good if you want too buy a new engine .
You should not free rev it that high .
A built clone all you need to do is start it tobe certain it runs before you load up and go too the track .
A couple quick whap whaps is it .

Its good if you want too buy a new engine .
You should not free rev it that high .
A built clone all you need to do is start it tobe certain it runs before you load up and go too the track .
A couple quick whap whaps is it .
I was just told not to do that by a friend just now, and it was quick. I just read that around here 6500-7000rpms is competitive. But also understand under load 6830 will no longer be 6830. 6k, 10k, or 15k for a small engine dyno is also out of the question. So I guess I will just have to find out during practice at the track next Saturday from the tach.

I was just told not to do that by a friend just now, and it was quick. I just read that around here 6500-7000rpms is competitive. But also understand under load 6830 will no longer be 6830. 6k, 10k, or 15k for a small engine dyno is also out of the question. So I guess I will just have to find out during practice at the track next Saturday from the tach.
You could always find a local builder and see what they would charge to put it on their dyno for a couple pulls to see what rpm range it does best in.

I just bought a clone engine. I am brand new to Karting and have chosen to race on dirt here in Michigan.

When I installed the motor on my 2006 PRC Phenom I warmed it up and then it topped out on the tach at 6830 on the kart stand. I understand that when I am in the kart and the wheels aren't free spinning without any weight or friction from the track, my rpms will drop.

Is 6830 rpms good on the kart stand? I am reading that 6600 is good for running at in the "safe zone".

How many rpms will a kart lose from running free on a kart stand vs when it's put under load on a track?

Thanks,
Michael Frizzelle
Excellent way of punching a window in the block

Yep, you likely just killed the valve springs with that crazy high free rev... put it on the track and shoot for 6600-6700. Most all of them will run there as long as its built somewhat correctly.

Back