Clone rpm

Sooner

New to the clone engine but our state championship race is coming up and it’s clone only. We have a green plate that has been sitting for almost two years! Think it’s ok to run? Only 3 races on it. Was wondering about clutch engagement rpms and what we should be running for rpm?

It needs to be updated. Rules/specs have changed in AKRA and NKA in the past 2yrs.
U would be at a disadvantage.

jdg In case he's running it as a green plate and sounds like you may have one, What should he turn it and engage it at ? Engage around 3500 rpm and turn it 6000 rpm ? Remember it's not up graded.

Thanks for the replys. The races are in ten days so I don’t have time to ship it off to get upgraded in time. Also on a budget. I’m going to get it running after our race with the animal this week and see how it runs and test it.

Plus this race is at our “home” track, our set up and tire game is very good as we blow everyone away by half a lap. Hopefully we are competitive with that advantage considering the engine disadvantage.

New to the clone engine but our state championship race is coming up and it’s clone only. We have a green plate that has been sitting for almost two years! Think it’s ok to run? Only 3 races on it. Was wondering about clutch engagement rpms and what we should be running for rpm?
On the starts, the clutch should be holding the engine at peak torque. If it is doing that, peak torque gets transferred to the rear axle and with peak torque at the rear axle you have peak horsepower at the rear axle, always.

The green plates we do engage at 3600 and peak at 5600 to 5800 with 5600 being a long track and 5800 for a short track we look at engagement very close on the dyno as a plate motor it’s very very important

I really couldn't disagree more with the recommended clutch engagement rpm in this thread guys.

If we can agree that we want clutch engagement to occur at peak torque, than we'll study the dyno data to determine where that is. And I'll let everyone in on a little secret, for every green plate clone engine on earth, regardless of builder and pipe, peak torque will occur just off idle rpm. Right around 3000 rpm. (Assuming we have an idle that is close to 2200 to 2500rpm)

Here's a green plate screen shot from a while back I just happened to have handy. If you look at the table. At 3800, we're off peak torque by almost a full ft/lb. Which represents roughly a 14% loss of what we could have potentially had.

Torque turns the tires guys.

My point is, if we race the same green plate engine, and I have my clutch set to lockup at 3000 and you have yours to lock up at 3800, I'll smoke you when the green flag drops every time.

In fact, for the clone engine, it isnt until the blue plate where peak torque occurs at a rpm higher than 3k.

Larh green plate 1.png

I really couldn't disagree more with the recommended clutch engagement rpm in this thread guys.

If we can agree that we want clutch engagement to occur at peak torque, than we'll study the dyno data to determine where that is. And I'll let everyone in on a little secret, for every green plate clone engine on earth, regardless of builder and pipe, peak torque will occur just off idle rpm. Right around 3000 rpm. (Assuming we have an idle that is close to 2200 to 2500rpm)

Here's a green plate screen shot from a while back I just happened to have handy. If you look at the table. At 3800, we're off peak torque by almost a full ft/lb. Which represents roughly a 14% loss of what we could have potentially had.

Torque turns the tires guys.

My point is, if we race the same green plate engine, and I have my clutch set to lockup at 3000 and you have yours to lock up at 3800, I'll smoke you when the green flag drops every time.

In fact, for the clone engine, it isnt until the blue plate where peak torque occurs at a rpm higher than 3k.

View attachment 6464
Shhhhhhhh my son needs all the help he can get :)

Back