Clone Running rough

cj6016

I'm am looking for a little help in regards to a clone build. I have absolutely no motor experience and have never attempted a build. However , I thought it might be a nice winter project for my son and I to work on together and learn. I took an old motor we had lying around and built a new one from it. Only original parts I used were the block and crankshaft and ARC 6619 billet fly wheel. Everything else was brand new, head, piston, rod, rings, crankcase bearings, carb, CLR2 Cam etc. Got it all assembled and fired it tonight. It runs , but very roughly. It will not idle on its own and I had to keep goosing the throttle to keep it from stalling. It also appeared to have misting gas coming out of the carb intake, much more than I have ever seen before. My thoughts are that it is probably a timing issue, but I really have no experience and am not sure. For the record I used the stock timing key. Any input would be greatly appreciated. motor is a blue plate. Thank you in advance!!

Intake lash setting may be too tight.
Is the carb jetted from stock?

Thank you very much. I did set the lash but it maybe to tight I will recheck it. A for the carb, I ordered the head, carb and cam as a set from a reputable dealer and was told that the carb was matched for the set up. I was not told what the jetting was but was going on the assumption that they gave me what was right Thanks again!!

UPDATE:
I rechecked the valve lash and the intake was definitely to tight. I loosened it up and it fired up on the first pull. It idled with no problem and sounds good. Thank you very much for the help

Back