Clone- track size matter?

Jbradley

When building a red plate clone, does track size become a factor? Looking to run a bullring (winter)and a 1/5 mile track (summer).

The main concern when building a red plate is whether or not there is a gear rule. Knowing the rpm range it will have to run with a set gear.

Question; what could you do to a red plate clone that would make any difference as to what track your racing on? When I built engines, 2 cycles, my goal was the most HP under the usable curve.

Question; what could you do to a red plate clone that would make any difference as to what track your racing on? When I built engines, 2 cycles, my goal was the most HP under the usable curve.

Al, I think the answer is rpm drop. If you are on a WOT track with hardly any RPM drop, then you would want an engine with a higher peak up in the rpm range. If you are on a tight bull ring, where you will really drop RPMs, then you would want an engine with more bottom end (which may give up some of that peak hp). Your answer is correct, but the key word is "usable". Some tracks might "use" more of the rpm range than others.

Bennie point is when there is a gear rule the gearing involved is 95 % of the time not the proper gear, it ends up to where the motors are maxed out on rpm turning way to many, so a good builder adjust accordingly.

Like Renegade said, it's weather or not you have a gear rule.

If you have a gear rule you set up to rich on the pilot circuit, then lean up top. This way you have both acceleration, AND high rpm. If you dont have a gear rule, you build for max possible Hp, and adjust gearing as you would any other LTO kart.

Ok, all good suggestions, but tell me, on a stock red plate clone, how much difference can a builder dial into the top end HP? For the WOT track?

I never done anything different from one size track to the other.. when everything is matched up they'll make more horsepower through the entire range.
EV

Back