Clutch and gearing question

sho900

my son is 5 years old. He weighs 265 in the kart... we run on a little 1/10 th maybe smaller dirt oval track with hairpin turns.. We run predator 212 with red restrictor plate. my question is what tooth driver and rear sprocket size will be best...Also what gear ratio should i be looking for..... I run on the same track 12/63 but i weigh 390 lbs in the kart...

Last edited:
At 5years old , on a 500 foot track with hairpin turns .
Why change it . Put the 12/63 on .
If its way out too lunch change it .

At 5years old , on a 500 foot track with hairpin turns .
Why change it . Put the 12/63 on .
If its way out too lunch change it .
That's the problem when your to far out to lunch your clueless where your at, if I'm reading it right and dad is running a 12/63 in Sr Class, red plate clone is NO where near that .

Roger : I'm also seeing 5 years old , so zero experience.
Location , class size and competition play in as well .
Track run in would give a big clue , hot laps even more .
Hair pin turns so 2 200 ft straights and 75 on each end . Off the turn is where the pass is . Then again 5 years old .
Shoot a 15 then , they are only going to use what throttle they are comfortable with .
Is a governor still on the engine ?
Air filter , pipe ?

We know dad's not on a plate, just need to confirm which engine
Read the first post, Predator 212, red plate. Does this mean both are running the red plate? Do they allow 5-year-olds to run without a plate? Where do they require/allow/have a class with red plate for adults? Am I reading this whole thing wrong?

sorry guys i was at work..... we do the stage 1 kit to the predator 212cc engine...... i "Dad" don't run a Red restrictor plate on my predator 212cc ... only my son does in the youth class.

Last edited:
Roger : I'm also seeing 5 years old , so zero experience.
Location , class size and competition play in as well .
Track run in would give a big clue , hot laps even more .
Hair pin turns so 2 200 ft straights and 75 on each end . Off the turn is where the pass is . Then again 5 years old .
Shoot a 15 then , they are only going to use what throttle they are comfortable with .
Is a governor still on the engine ?
Air filter , pipe ?
15 clutch driver? Governor was removed on both motors..... stage 1 up grade kit so yes air filter, pipe, top plate. thanks

Read the first post, Predator 212, red plate. Does this mean both are running the red plate? Do they allow 5-year-olds to run without a plate? Where do they require/allow/have a class with red plate for adults? Am I reading this whole thing wrong?
Al mine is not a red plate, but my sons is. thanks

There's very few things in this world that I hate more than having somebody talk down to me. Let's leave it at that.
like I tell people that say that to me...... then go stand your behind on a bucket so I can talk up to ya but it ain’t gonna change the fact that your wrong. I’ll leave it at that ! Lol!

no i run a Predator 212cc with the stage 1 kit. my son runs the same only with a restrictor plate.
I've thought about this a little more, are you using a tach for you when your running the 12/63 ? If so what RPM readings are you getting ? Do you know the target RPM's for this stage 1 kit ? You should not have to run such a small front driver with a Predator on a 520 ft track.

Back