Clutch and gearing question

Thanks for reaching out to me again......no i do not use a tach i run the same track every time... I've just learned to listen to the motor and see were it reaches its max... if it reaches too early then i go down one tooth size in the rear sprocket at a time till it seems like its pulling all the way down the straight before floating the valves... I think i get around 5200=5300 rpm.
...... as far as a tach for my son I'm planning on buying him one but he is still not driving hard enough during the race. letting off early and getting into the gas late...... just an idea if you want more info i can email you a short video clips of the karts on the track or i'll give you my phone number if you want to ask more detail questions either way i appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Thanks for reaching out to me again......no i do not use a tach i run the same track every time... I've just learned to listen to the motor and see were it reaches its max... if it reaches too early then i go down one tooth size in the rear sprocket at a time till it seems like its pulling all the way down the straight before floating the valves... I think i get around 5200=5300 rpm.
...... as far as a tach for my son I'm planning on buying him one but he is still not driving hard enough during the race. letting off early and getting into the gas late...... just an idea if you want more info i can email you a short video clips of the karts on the track or i'll give you my phone number if you want to ask more detail questions either way i appreciate your help.
Getting a tach now but putting it on your kart would be a big help to your son for when he's ready to be on optimal gearing.
Do they race Sr clones there ? Or any adult classes, if so which and do you know there gearing ?

Getting a tach now but putting it on your kart would be a big help to your son for when he's ready to be on optimal gearing.
Do they race Sr clones there ? Or any adult classes, if so which and do you know there gearing ?
i run the an adult class with predator 212cc with a stage 1 kit.... there is class called the flat karts they run unlimited motor and slick tires, but don't know what they run as far as gearing, not too many of those maybe 8 karts

Gearing it so its gear bound to start with was a big help for my kids starting out. It gets them comfortable driving and they don't have to worry about letting off to start with, after a night or two of running around wide open start working towards the correct gearing.

no i do not use a tach i run the same track every time

I understand not wanting to throw $200 into a karting tach that you're getting by without. Just be aware (I wasnt aware of these until recently) that there are several affordable hour meter/tachometers out there that do max recall. I've never tried these but struck me as a reasonable tool for racers on a budget. Here's a link to one, but there are several like it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07T13MHRM/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I understand not wanting to throw $200 into a karting tach that you're getting by without. Just be aware (I wasnt aware of these until recently) that there are several affordable hour meter/tachometers out there that do max recall. I've never tried these but struck me as a reasonable tool for racers on a budget. Here's a link to one, but there are several like it:

much appreciated!! i will look into those

I grabbed one off eBay that works perfect for 20 bucks. It records your
9625C628-F70A-40FA-984A-4E1E526F3362.png
highest rpm you can review later that way you know your hunting the right bird. Works perfect for my predator kart that I know I just need to get near 5,000 rpm with.

What is your suggestion for gearing on both engines of the two different classes Al?
There's very few things in this world that I hate more than having somebody talk down to me. Let's leave it at that.

Nobody talked down to you, they corrected you.

Were all awaiting your final word on what gears should be used on each engine.
If you don't know nor have any suggestion then nobody is talking down to you only correcting your ignorance on the subject.

i got one and while it was ok for reading max rpm its not worth dropping the $25 on for what we are wanting to learn. Save up find a used mychron for 200-250 with all the leads

ok what gear for the rear? and if you don't mind what brand clutch.... we have to run a shoe type clutch

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend on the clutch. For me I personally like Noram GE Ultimate https://www.noramclutch.com/go-kart-clutch/noram/ge-ultimate/ It is nice to be able to just change the drivers instead of having to invest in a whole new bell. Also this new design really helps in keeping the clutch temps down.

Back