CLutch Clearance

PeteL

Have a 2015 MGM Kart with LO206. I am a bigger guy, the seat is an XL, if that helps. Right now, I am having trouble getting adequate clearance to mount a chain guard. The sprocket on the clutch is currenyly inboard (as in closer to the motor). I am wondering if the clutch were mounted outboard, I would be able to move the motor a bit further out, and gain the clearance I need for the chain guard. Does this make sense?

What is stopping it from fitting? what part is it hitting? If it is hitting the seat, Maybe you need to get an adjustable mount to move the engine over. Or modify the one you have. , plus if you move the engine to the right you may be able to move the seat to the left a little more and still keep the percentage right. I have seen some seat with a notch in them to clear the chain guard and some Chain guards with grinding marks on them to clear the seat. Just be careful not to get the Basket and levers too close to the seat. Nothing good can come from that.

The rear sprocket is about as far to the right as it can go before hitting the chassis, The chain guard hits the seat. But if the sprocket were on the other side of the clutch, the motor could move a bit to the right, it would have to. So then I think there would be enough room. Seat is about as far to the left as it can go. There is some room for the motor to move to the right. I think.

Yes, you need to have the clutch gear inboard (left side) and move the engine as far right as you can without hitting the tire. The sprocket should be on the right side of the sprocket mount with the hex heads (or button heads) on the right side. The problem is getting the chain guard to hang over enough for protection but not so far it hits the seat strut.

Inboard means that the clutch driver is closest to the engine.
Outboard means that the clutch driver is closest to the seat.

Unless you've got a really stiff motor mount (base plate), I'd suggest keeping the engine squarely over the motor mount rails on the frame. The twist/flex at the base of the engine can cause problems (amplified) if the engine hangs too far over the right side motor mount rail.

I prefer the clutch mounted inboard, but it's just as common on sprint chassis to mount them outboard for a series of reasons (seat strut location, frame rail, rear S bar, etc.)

If the chain guard is still hitting the seat, either move the seat enough to clear it (without messing your scale numbers up) or grind/clearance your chain guard (minimally) to clear the seat. Be sure you have adequate protection -- that guard is there for a reason!

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Inboard means that the clutch driver is closest to the engine.
Outboard means that the clutch driver is closest to the seat.

Unless you've got a really stiff motor mount (base plate), I'd suggest keeping the engine squarely over the motor mount rails on the frame. The twist/flex at the base of the engine can cause problems (amplified) if the engine hangs too far over the right side motor mount rail.

I prefer the clutch mounted inboard, but it's just as common on sprint chassis to mount them outboard for a series of reasons (seat strut location, frame rail, rear S bar, etc.)

If the chain guard is still hitting the seat, either move the seat enough to clear it (without messing your scale numbers up) or grind/clearance your chain guard (minimally) to clear the seat. Be sure you have adequate protection -- that guard is there for a reason!

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks. I need to look everything again tonight or tomorrow night. altering the chain guard, or finding a narrower one is an option, but if I can gain some room, and not have the motor too far out that may be the ticket. I could also try to lose about 40 pounds, get a smaller seat and solve the problem :) But I will probably look at moving the clutch driver first.

Back