Clutch engagement

JPM

Using Noram Stinger in 390 lb class. With peak torque at 3500 rpm, having difficulty setting and maintaining engagement at or close to 3500 rpm. Current engagement rpm using black springs is much closer to 4000. Has anyone encountered the same issue? Anyone have any experience using the orange springs? Or is their additional internal friction delaying engagement?

I used black springs with not issues engaging at 3600 (I now use a Hilliard). You might make sure you have the right springs or you might try new ones. I also would suggest making sure you are not getting any contaminants that are contrubting to slippage.

In my opinion 4000 rpm is too high.
Like JJChat suggested 3600 is more appropriate.
If your shoes are worn that could be your problem.
The gap between the shoes and the drum is important.
The gap between the shoes and the drum on a new Stinger .085"

Last edited:
In my opinion 4000 rpm is too high.
Like JJChat suggested 3600 is more appropriate.
If your shoes are worn that could be your problem.
The gap between the shoes and the drum is important.
The gap between the shoes and the drum on a new Stinger .085"
Gap is .080 using calipers
Last used installed new shoes and new black springs just to eliminate those two variables. No contaminates (ex. bearing lubricant) drum looks normal, but have blueish hot spots on shoe contact areas. Easily removed with light sanding. No signs of shoes dragging on side plate. The challange as i see it is to solve this dilemma instead of switching clutch manufacturers. This clutch seams to work properly for the many who use it....???

Back