Clutch Engament - Red Slide

Brianf60

Just picked up a new Hillard Fire clutch for my son's Sprint kart. He is running the red slide at 235 lbs. What is a good target engament speed/ choice of springs? His either has 4 black spring now or the color has gone. His shoes worn out so I bought a complete clutch so I had some spare parts...

In my experience, you can go a lot lower on a red slide and get a lot more useable RPM range. I would start with 4 white springs and see if that allows you to pull better out of the corners.

Thanks. I put in 4 white a week ago but have not really had a chance to test much. I'm not sure my son is consistent enough for me to be sure it made a difference anyway...

If the clutch, while slipping, is holding the engine at peak torque, that torque is transferred to the rear axle through the chain. With peak torque at the axle, you have maximum horsepower at the axle. The formula is; torque X RPM / 5252.1 = HP. James Watt formulated that calculation back in the eighteen hundreds. You can read about it on Wikipedia.

Back