Clutch failure possibilities?

temmert

My son currently races in Rookie 2 cage with a purple plate clone. We have a Jammer Golder Child clutch that we had inspected and said to be in good shape. We clean the clutch each week with our weekly maintenance program. My question is with the maintenance we are doing is it necessary to have a spare clutch at the track? Obviously they are not cheap. Any thoughts on this? We do have a Martin that is setup for adult that I may run on occasion.
Thanks

We have never had a clutch fail suddenly (we run disc type clutches), so it was never necessary to have a spare at the race to cover that - normal inspection told us when it was getting close to the wear limits and needed a rebuild. Other's mileage may vary.

We do carry a spare clutch, but that's just because we've accumulated a couple over 17 years of karting.

I always have a spare clutch too, and have lent it out to others on occasion. But like Outrider said, we just accumulated just about doubles of everything now..Keep it maintained and you should be fine.

Thanks for the info. I will not rush out and buy a spare, But if one is acquired will probably hang onto it.

I take spare clutch's along with some other spare parts and carry a clutch bolt & key way in my front pocket and a 1/2" wrench in my back pocket with me to races I'm just going to watch that were not even racing in lol.

A spare (anything) is most always a great idea. I do realize that a premium quality clutch may be very expensive. Though it would ease installation and use, the "spare" does not have to be the same high dollar clutch. You could purchase a usable and functional back up to have as a spare. Maybe even a gently used shoe clutch might keep you from missing a race. Just a thought.

I always keep a Hillard Flame shoe clutch in the trailer as a backup, you can get a drum that uses the same clutch drivers as the bully style clutches do so you dont have to buy more gears. The flame is an excellent clutch and will last for a few seasons when they are maintained. They cost $100 or less most places and are also fully adjustable, which is easy and takes only minutes to do, without needing spring height guage or special tools like with disc clutches. I have ran one in the akra clone, predator and even open classes. It works great when you need a backup clutch and doesn't need rebuilt frequently either. Keep that option in mind if you have limited funds, a spare clutch is necessary, I hate seeing people miss a race just because they don't have a spare clutch and nobody had a spare for them to borrow, I loan my spare out when its needed.

Back