Clutch Feedback/Insight for SMC on LO206

ZakSpeed

Not wanting to start a clutch war here, I am looking for tips or warnings from SMC users. What works, tunability, trouble, maintenance, etc.?
Is it still legal?

Anyone prefer Hilliard if you had a choice? (Personally, never had a problem, but there are many critics.)

I’ve been using either the Hilliard Flame or Fire clutch on my L206 for two years now and no issues. Easy to adjust, clean, and maintain. Easy on the pocketbook and no reason to change at this point. Ran an SMC red clutch on my dirt kart two years ago. Nice piece, but a little more pricy and more involved to maintain. Just my two cents...

We don’t run LO206 motors but we do use SMC Vortex clutches on all of our karts. I’ve found that they are durable and reliable. Depending on the amount of discs, you can rebuild as cheap as $55 and do it yourself. Engagement RPMS can easily be changed by moving the springs to another hole.
Our maintenance involves removing the 6 screws to take the drive plates off then we use a stainless steel brush (like a golf club brush) to clean the discs. Do not use any type of liquid cleaner. Put all plates and discs back on in the same direction as they came off. Never had a problem.

A SMC, Bully, or many other disc clutches will work great on a 206 but so will a Hilliard, Stinger or any of the other legal clutches.
It depends on what your rules are at the different tracks or events where you plan to race and ,of course, what you want to spend. If you are concerned about ease of adjustment and clutch weight that's more things to consider. Availability of parts at the tracks where you race is yet another one unless you plan to keep spare parts or another complete clutch in your trailer.
Which clutch is going to win or loose a race for you? ;)

Rocket Rim shoe clutch works great on a JR 206 (using orange springs). Very well made and easy to install. Seems like it will be a lot less maintenance than the Hilliard Flame we were using (we have to replace springs on the Hilliard very frequently at our track).

Is the reason you are replacing the springs because it is engaging at a lower rpm?

It was just everything - replacing springs/shoes and all the maintenance. Performance would drop off if springs (and sometimes shoes and sometimes the whole clutch) were not replaced regularly. We've only done 2 days on the Rocket Rim but so far so good.

Thats not my experience. Even with much more powerful engines.
If you are overworking any clutch it won't last very long.

It was just everything - replacing springs/shoes and all the maintenance. Performance would drop off if springs (and sometimes shoes and sometimes the whole clutch) were not replaced regularly. We've only done 2 days on the Rocket Rim but so far so good.

I am curious to the same question Jim is asking. What was the performance indicator that made you replace the springs? What slide and weight? What track? Just trying to learn here.

I am curious to the same question Jim is asking. What was the performance indicator that made you replace the springs? What slide and weight? What track? Just trying to learn here.
Lap times. Brand new stuff is fast. Then it gets slow. This is for a sprint cadet class with weight around 250lbs/blue slide. Maybe I was doing something wrong or maybe it's just how racing is done here. Everyone I know with Hilliards who is fast are replacing springs/shoes like crazy. I also talked to folks in the same class who were running the Stinger (and doing really well) and they just bolted it on and left it there for the season. Maybe it's all just user error - but ultimately it doesn't matter. I've exchanged emails with Brent B. at Hilliard and done as much research as I can and finally just got sick of the thing. BTW my Hilliards still work - they're just slow.

I have guys that race on a national level that don't have those issues.
Some of them sat on the pole or very close to the pole for the finals.
Then it rained and we sucked.:(

I just bought a whole box of parts shoes, springs, drums, from someone that changed them every second race day. There is nothing wrong with any of it, just like new. But we need people to spend money it keeps the shops fed.

I just bought a whole box of parts shoes, springs, drums, from someone that changed them every second race day. There is nothing wrong with any of it, just like new. But we need people to spend money it keeps the shops fed.

Whoa.:(
I think it's obvious from my post that i don't run my business that way!
My philosophy is that if you're good to people that for the most part they will be good to you in return.
Of course, there are exceptions and those people are easy to spot.
To expand on the subject, where would you get your 206 engine if there were no shops to sell them?
Briggs does not sell to the public directly. You must buy it through one of their dealers.
Hilliard clutches is the same way as are many other manufacturers.
Many times i have actually talked my self out of a sale because the customer didn't need what he thought he needed.
Example: Someone wants to buy a new carb, clutch, cylinder head or even a complete engine and i convince them to send me their current part to repair.

SMC Clutch does not seem to be on the approved list for LO206 racing which seems like a big drawback.

The current stinger is only legal for a short time as well .
Dragin skin , hillard or the new stinger and noram drum clutches.
Plenty of good choices .

Whoa.:(
I think it's obvious from my post that i don't run my business that way!
My philosophy is that if you're good to people that for the most part they will be good to you in return.
Of course, there are exceptions and those people are easy to spot.
To expand on the subject, where would you get your 206 engine if there were no shops to sell them?
Briggs does not sell to the public directly. You must buy it through one of their dealers.
Hilliard clutches is the same way as are many other manufacturers.
Many times i have actually talked my self out of a sale because the customer didn't need what he thought he needed.
Example: Someone wants to buy a new carb, clutch, cylinder head or even a complete engine and i convince them to send me their current part to repair.
My post in no way was direct at or toward you or any shop, it was directed toward the original poster that claims on a cadet sprint kart, Hilliard parts have to be changed every race or two, because they get slow. Then state they have two days experience with a different brand and every thing is great. Also claim every one at the track around them are changing Hilliard springs and shoes. The information does not seem to be very believable and I have been at this for a few years now. I would say on a cadet kart at 250 lbs you would never need to renew the clutch springs. Someone is supplying all these new parts at that track, and of course if you are a seller, if the customer wants and demands it, you should have it to sell as they will buy it somewhere.

Since we can't race the Rocket Rim the next best one for our style racing is the Stinger. I've talked to a few folks who run it and it's very low maintenance, consistent, and works great for what we do.

Back