Clutch Gear Bearing Grease

KeenanBurr

Anyone have any recommendations on what grease to use on the bearing for the clutch gear? I've been using Vaseline for a while now but it popped into my head that maybe a hi temp grease would be a better option, unless Vaseline is perfectly fine?

They use and suggest vaseline because it doesn't ruin the clutch disk if it gets in it, it vaporizes at a low temp. I had carlson rebuild a clutch and he had a different substance on it. Lighter weight than vaseline or high temp grease. Never asked him what it was though.

triflow makes a nice grease

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200913-003332_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200913-003332_Chrome.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 112
I just spray mine with Tri flow and shake it off. I use very little grease/oil on those and tend to consider it a wear item that should just get replaced.

Two drops of triflow and nothing else. Clean bearings with brake cleaner every week and start over.

Triflow contains Teflon, that is something you definitely do NOT want ever getting into your clutch disks! Thats why most of the big clutch companies suggest vasoline. It doesn't contain any friction modifiers like most greases do (think Moly and PTFE) that when (not if) they get some into your clutch it won't ruin the friction material!

If your clutch drum uses a bearing (not a bushing), use a grease that is certified by the National Lubricating Grease Institute (NLGI) that has the GC-LB designation for use with bearings. Most any auto parts stores has it in stock. Remember to only use a very light coating. A can of this will last forever. Same grease I use for packing the bearings on my trailer and vehicles.
Grease.jpggrease rating.jpg

Last edited:
I use a high temp wheel bearing grease.
It is red and easy to see. Do not pack the bearings -- if you see it squishing out, you've used too much. A very small amount goes a long way. Use it sparingly.

NEVER use TriFlow on chains or in clutch bearings -- It WILL contaminate the clutch linings and cause them to glaze up.

Vaseline is a good choice if you are cleaning and re-lubing the bearings after each race day.
Vaseline has a very low melting point and will quickly cook out of the clutch linings if any manages to get in them. As a lubricant, however, it is not very good. Most of my customers don't want to replace bearings and races at every rebuild, (nor do they tear their clutches apart for complete maintenance each race day,) so I prefer to use something better suited for bearing life.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I use a small amount of this