Clutch & Gear question

Meyer22

I'm new to the kart racing, I've looked at my three local kart tracks rules and all three have different gear rules. I've taken my clutch off and I can't get the gear to come off. Is it supposed to come off or do I have to buy a new clutch for every gear I want? This may be a dumb question but like I said I have no clue about kart racing. Just trying to have some fun with my son.

I'm new to the kart racing, I've looked at my three local kart tracks rules and all three have different gear rules. I've taken my clutch off and I can't get the gear to come off. Is it supposed to come off or do I have to buy a new clutch for every gear I want? This may be a dumb question but like I said I have no clue about kart racing. Just trying to have some fun with my son.
If its a drum clutch you have to replace the whole drum on most of those.
If its a disc clutch there will be snap rings on the inside of the basket that holds it on

Disc clutch
4201-smc-vortex-black-2-disc-engine-clutch-exploded-view-instructions.jpg

XXX40 dont forget that you can also buy a bully conversion drum for most shoe clutches also, which allows you to use that one drum and buy different gears to use with it, that way you only pay for the drum once and the gears once instead of having 5 or 10 different drums that take up alot of space, you can have 5 or 10 gears that will fit in a small box. I use the bully conversion drum with my fury clutch and wouldnt give it up for anything, because i can use the same gears with the fury that i also use with my disc clutches. The bully gears dont wear much at all unless you really have something out of alignment, so they last a good while and only cost $15-30 depending on where you get them. I get my bully gears from a local parts supplier at the track for $22 each.

Hey thanks guys. I'll go to my local kart shop and see
If they can find me a cheap way to race at those 3 tracks.

XXX40 dont forget that you can also buy a bully conversion drum for most shoe clutches also, which allows you to use that one drum and buy different gears to use with it, that way you only pay for the drum once and the gears once instead of having 5 or 10 different drums that take up alot of space, you can have 5 or 10 gears that will fit in a small box. I use the bully conversion drum with my fury clutch and wouldnt give it up for anything, because i can use the same gears with the fury that i also use with my disc clutches. The bully gears dont wear much at all unless you really have something out of alignment, so they last a good while and only cost $15-30 depending on where you get them. I get my bully gears from a local parts supplier at the track for $22 each.

He didnt ask about the conversion, he asked how to get it off.

He actually asked if it comes off or if he has to buy another drum for every gear he needs, not how to get the gear off the drum, maybe you misunderstood the first post.

OP, some or most shoe clutches come with a drum that has the gear made into the drum and doesnt come off, but some clutches do come with a drum that has interchangeable gears. The hilliard clutches come with interchangeable gears and also can come with the bully conversion drum so you can buy the bully gears.

Response to do I have to buy another clutch:
The gears on clutches are changeable, so you can just switch out the gear, you should do research on the type of clutch the track wants, next what type you have, & how it works. For instance, if one track requires a drum clutch only, and the
2nd track bully clutch only, and the other track of the 3 requires a disc clutch, then thats then thats the only circumstance you need to buy different clutches.

Taking the gear off on any clutch:
There should be a snapring that holds on the gear, take it off then the gear should slide off.

Response to do I have to buy another clutch:
The gears on clutches are changeable, so you can just switch out the gear, you should do research on the type of clutch the track wants, next what type you have, & how it works. For instance, if one track requires a drum clutch only, and the
2nd track bully clutch only, and the other track of the 3 requires a disc clutch, then thats then thats the only circumstance you need to buy different clutches.

Taking the gear off on any clutch:
There should be a snapring that holds on the gear, take it off then the gear should slide off.
I don't know if you noticed the date but the op posted this 9 years ago.

The majority of drum clutches have drums cast with the gear as part of it. Some, however, have an optional drum that accepts the Bully style driver.

Back