Clutch Grinding?

JustusRacing

What are guys using for a machine to surface and cross hatch clutch discs?

I would love to give it a shot but I don’t have room for a blanchard grinder in my shop, nor is it probably worth the investment.

What are guys using for a machine to surface and cross hatch clutch discs?

I would love to give it a shot but I don’t have room for a blanchard grinder in my shop, nor is it probably worth the investment.

Some use a lathe, others us a VPR grinder, and there are also homemade setups out there.

I personally use a lathe to cut plates that are really bad, then use the VPR for a finish grind.

I have a few customers that like me to grind their plates, but assemble themselves. I charge them $25 to grind them.

If you already have a lathe in your shop, pick up a tool post grinder. It's just what it sounds like -- a grinder that mounts to the tool post in your lathe.
The VPR grinders do a good job, but they are no longer made. You may be able to find a used one for sale from time to time. There is/was a guy in New York that was making a similar grinder a while back that looked good.
Unless you were wanting to get into the business, it would be hard to justify the expense of the equipment, etc. Like JP, our $50 complete rebuilds include machining. If a guy just wants plates machined, it's half of that.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks Guys... I do have an older lathe in my shop. I never thought to go the tool post grinder route. I'll see what I can come up with.

Back