Clutch help

Weddy21

Getting my son in kart racing, have a old greased lightning 2 disc, engagement 3600-4200. Any possible way to get this to 3000? Haven’t been around kart racing in 20 years so need to relearn

Assuming your plate clearance is within speck and not in need of replacement parts:

In general with any clutch like it you have two options.

You either add weight or install lighter springs.

I looked at comet to get clued in on parts and saw three different springs and they also offered a brass weight kit.

Check your disk clearance for sure, but if that's right, I would think you would only have to back the springs off a little. Turn the screws about 1/8 turn, counterclockwise, and tested it.
I'm not familiar with all the clutches, who makes that one?

3600-4200 is a pretty big swing. It should be engaging within 50 RPM every time.

If its at 3600, you could get it down depending on current spring height. If its at 4200, it will require more changes.

https://horstmanclutches.3dcartstor...ClutchInstructions/GreasedLightningManual.pdf

right, it’s still new in the box from 20 years ago. from my understanding I can add the 4 washers and it’s set at 3600, take all washers off and it’s 4200 but wasn’t sure what else could be done to get engagement lower for a restrictor class or if I’d have buy something else.

Check your disk clearance for sure, but if that's right, I would think you would only have to back the springs off a little. Turn the screws about 1/8 turn, counterclockwise, and tested it.
I'm not familiar with all the clutches, who makes that one?
It’s a old Horstman. We had several when I raced karts and this is one we never ran. I was just a kid then though so I know nothing lol

You will need to install black springs to get the engagement down that low. Also, you'll need 3-4 washers on each weight lever with stock spring heights. That should get you pretty close. Check out the link that JP posted, that will give you some other options as well.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back