Clutch help

Taw Jackson

New class at local track... 375 lb Flathead... Clutch is a Rock Star (buller in disguise)... 2 disc/4 RED springs with weights... Current Set up is... .290 S H and. 041 Air Gap... Trying to get to 3800/3600 RPM... And help will be appreciated...

With the 3 disc/4 spring Horstm DXL, we could hit our preferred RPM with a pipe or with a muffler. 10,300/8,400 respectively. No changing of Springs or disc or anything else, just the tension on the Springs. Can you do that with the Buller? You know that guideline for spring height is only a "guideline", a good starting point. I don't remember if Horstman had a guideline, for spring height, or not. Gil Horstman once told me, the hardest part about the disk clutch was getting the curve just right on the weights. He tried many times before finding the right, shall we say "cam", curve for the weights.

New class at local track... 375 lb Flathead... Clutch is a Rock Star (buller in disguise)... 2 disc/4 RED springs with weights... Current Set up is... .290 S H and. 041 Air Gap... Trying to get to 3800/3600 RPM... And help will be appreciated...
If its a true Rock Star, i built many of them for Gecker when he was in business doing those.
The air gap factory was .028, give or take. That will get you started to get your desired engagement. With the Rock Star, .041 air gap was considered time to rebuild.

If its a true Rock Star, i built many of them for Gecker when he was in business doing those.
The air gap factory was .028, give or take. That will get you started to get your desired engagement. With the Rock Star, .041 air gap was considered time to rebuild.
What if I put a floater to get closer to. 028...im I close on S H @ .290

If you post a picture of it on here, maybe Earl or I could ID the clutch. If it's got Bully springs, then I'd have blue in them with a 4 spring, weight bolts in every other lever, and .225" height. If it's got the longer springs, Sheldon's or others) then you might be alright with the springs you've got - just get the air gap back down -- new friction discs should solve the problem if the current ones are worn thin. Otherwise, if the friction discs are still in good shape, a thicker floater to take up the air gap and a little maintenance/clean-up is all that's needed.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If you post a picture of it on here, maybe Earl or I could ID the clutch. If it's got Bully springs, then I'd have blue in them with a 4 spring, weight bolts in every other lever, and .225" height. If it's got the longer springs, Sheldon's or others) then you might be alright with the springs you've got - just get the air gap back down -- new friction discs should solve the problem if the current ones are worn thin. Otherwise, if the friction discs are still in good shape, a thicker floater to take up the air gap and a little maintenance/clean-up is all that's needed.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Can I sent you a pic... Of the floater disc I need...

With the 3 disc/4 spring Horstm DXL, we could hit our preferred RPM with a pipe or with a muffler. 10,300/8,400 respectively. No changing of Springs or disc or anything else, just the tension on the Springs. Can you do that with the Buller? You know that guideline for spring height is only a "guideline", a good starting point. I don't remember if Horstman had a guideline, for spring height, or not. Gil Horstman once told me, the hardest part about the disk clutch was getting the curve just right on the weights. He tried many times before finding the right, shall we say "cam", curve for the weights.
Alvin what is a... Arena clutch

New floater might get it, not positive because i dont know the reasoning why its got that much gap to begin with. New floater and discs could bring it back to the air gap needed.
Its at 041...i installed 2 new disc andnit has a floater disc... That why I'm trying to get different size floater disc... So I can bring it down

I got your picture - that is a Bully floater disc. You said that it has .500" springs - those would be Bully springs.
Can you send me (or post on here) a picture of the actuator lever plate and springs? That might clear up some confusion.
What you may have is a Bully with Rockstar friction discs.
Any kart shop or clutch rebuilder would have Bully floater discs available in different thicknesses. We certainly do.
Give us a call if we can be of any help.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Do you still connections with the Gecker people or someone else that can help me find... Floater disc for the Rock Star... Thanks

Back