Clutch Help

Rbrtsylve

Chattering 2 Disk-Help?
Guys I have a 2 disk Top Dog clutch with roller levers that is chattering really bad on lock up. I am not bashing the clutch manufacturer, I'd just like some help figuring this thing out. We have run numerous 2 disk clutches over the years but this is my first roller lever clutch.

Set up for Junior 2 with bolts in both holes in each lever
6 race nights on clutch
Air gap at 32
Clutch is disassembled after each night and cleaned.
Doing the normal acetone clean and very light coat of grease on flat bearing and roller bearing in driver.
Engagement is set at 3400 on a purple plate clone.
Disks measure .124

Last week I took the clutch apart and verified that everything was flat and true by lapping everything on a granite plate with 100 grit paper. All parts were very flat and true. I increased the air gap to 37 and set the engagement to 3500 rpm hoping that would help. The clutch was slightly better Saturday night but still chattered for 5 or 6 seconds before getting fully engaged.

No I have not contacted the manufacturer and this is not intended to be a bash on them. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Yes I had yor answer which was something like "cheaper clutches do that".

Not very helpful in my opinion.
Just trying to get a little more exposure from this forum which tends to have a lot more views.

No I have not contacted the manufacturer...

This really should be your first approach rather than last. Yes, there are lots of good "opinions" on this forum, but few know your clutch as well as you and the builder of it.

I'd be glad to go through it and freshen it for you, but from the sounds of it, you have been doing fine maintenance of it on your own up until now. (Which suggests that possibly you've got the discs in a different orientation than they came out. When re-using discs in a clutch, it is vital that they go back in the exact same orientation that they came out. Engraving a few marks on the discs sure helps in remembering how it came apart so when it's time to put it back together there are no mistakes. Not saying that's your only problem now, just a possibility.)
When you say that all the parts are "flat" -- how did you measure the hub and backing plate? Pressure plate? I understand friction discs and floaters can be easily scuff sanded, but clutch builders actually grind the backing & pressure plates on a lathe and machine them to within .001".)
If the clutch has been heat saturated, it could be that the springs have lost tension? Does the floater move freely on the splines of the hub? Even the slightest bit of rust or binding can cause erratic clutch behavior (and chatter.)

If I've got a customer having a problem with anything I built (whether it be a clutch, engine, whatever...) I would want them to contact us first.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

With the Gator style clutches, you either have levers that are too heavy for your spring height, or the clutch needs to be remachined..... Try not to go over 29-30 grams per lever and a .430 spring height with a spring gauge or .350 ish from top of activator plate to the bottom of the retainer..... If it still chatters send it to George Bark (top Dog) or someone like myself, to machine the pressure plate and backing plate......

James Raines
Fast Forward Clutches

Back