Clutch Hole Through the Seat?

Make the hole just large enough to fit your 1/2" socket through. I "think" I use a 1" hole saw.
We've drilled a hole in the side of the seat for ease of access to the clutch retaining bolt for at least 30 years now and have never had any issues because of it.
I use an impact with an extension so I can access the clutch retaining bolt from inside the seat. The hole does not have to be perfectly aligned with the bolt because once you get the socket through the hole, the diameter of the extensions is enough smaller that you can easily align the socket with the bolt head even when the engine is moved forward or backward an inch or more either way.

I would not want to cut a 3"+ hole in the side of the seat - I think that's just asking for problems (especially if you ever have a clutch come apart (ie explode.)

NEVER Loctite the bolt in the end of the clutch -- you will be removing it regularly for maintenance and it is not needed. I use Never-seize on the threads of the bolt and use a lock washer behind the head of the bolt. Just make the bolt snug - it does not need over-tightened. If yours is coming loose, there's likely another reason.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Two of us are running a 206 on a CompKart. Both of us have "clearance" holes ground through the seat by the clutch bolt. The other guy had his clutch bolt start trying to grind a clearance hole through him. Nasty scrape/bruise. I'm moving my seat a bit further away.

Before cordless impacts we done it all with wrenches and ratchets. We used a long wrench on the clutch, smack it real good a couple times with your palm while holding the clutch and she wouldn't go anywhere. Same to get it off.

We also changed tires with a ratchet and a long extension, you had to get good at spinning that wheel and keeping the socket on to change tires fast.
haha my friend thought he was a genius when he figured this out post the too early passing of my Makita impact on raceday...

Lol, this was back in the 90's when cordless impacts weren't a thing. Just imagine, they had been doing it that way for 20-30 years before. Even as kids we changed gears, and tires on our own karts.

I don't believe a loose bolt is causing you problems more likely a too tight one #1 The bolt should not be locking the clutch to the crank. The bolt/washer should be bottoming out against only the crank, leaving .030 or so of lateral movement in the clutch. If installed correctly, the only real need for that bolt is to ensure that the key does not fall out. If you are having problems, I would bet they originate from a misalignment between clutch and axle sprocket alignment. #2 How is your motor mount centered? A few years ago, The Briggs Racing Director released some info on how vibration is greatly increased when you use the motor mount offset. In other words, center the mount and maybe you will not need to drill that hole. #3 To just answer your question, if you need to drill that hole, I would not worry that it would compromise the seats structural integrity.

Last edited:
So, I wound up getting a good flat wrench that goes on the bolt nicely. I took it out on Saturday, and after every couple sessions I'd get in there and give it a tug to make sure it was on good. Didn't have any issues.

LOCK TITE THE CLUTCH BOLT? NEVER HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE, WHAT ABOUT CLUTCH MAINTANENCE? I KNOW MINE COMES OFF EVERY RACE.
Loctite is designed to allow the bolt to be removed over and over again. It is designed to stop them from vibrating loose? Even the red loctite will not stop you from removing the bolt. Been doing it for many many years. And If you want to make them easier to remove . Just do it while the engine is hot. Try it , You'll like it.

Back