Clutch Information?????

Sarah talked with Dan today, and he's still working on cleaning it up before releasing it.

If it were up to me, we'd be allowed ANY dry centrifugal clutch (disc, drum, or otherwise.) If they want to keep the claim, I'm alright with that.
That would be as simple as anything and remove the gray areas of "machined or not machined," "factory oem or not the way it was originally produced," etc.

Keep the rules on the engine package alone -- let the racers decide the parts they run on the chassis, etc (clutch, chain, rear gears...) Oh yea, then there's the tires...LOL

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I agree with Jim. Rule changes often just cost us racers money that we didn’t need to spend in the first place.

I would like it to remain a show style clutch. They are the cheapest to operate with the least amount of effort between races.

Seems like people have taken my original statement out of context. If we all at our local track have drum clutch that functions as it should and allows us to race as is, the we should be good to go. Changing or updating rules now adds cost because we all know that as soon as the guy next to you has a disc clutch and is a tenth faster than you, everyone else see's what is going on and thinks they need to purchase a disc clutch. The old monkey see monkey do approach applies as they say. So most then go out to buy disc clutch at $150-$200 and throw the drum clutch on the shelf in the trailer or in the shop. Cost of racing at the track just went up(racers at the track x $150-$200) when all had a perfectly good drum clutch that serves the same purpose. Just my two cents...

^ As long as it doesn't have a machined drum, comes as supplied from the mfg'er, or be outside of the rules in some other manner. Have at it!

Brian, Is the machined drum rule a briggs rule? We run by K.A.R.T. rules and I don't remember seeing anything about 'machined' drum in their rules.

The rule does not say you can't use a clutch with a machined drum.
In fact if you look at the Stinger and the Hilliard drums you can see they have been machined at the factory.
The rule does say "No alteration or machining to the clutch allowed"

Back