Clutch install

I would disagree.
With the radius that is machined on most crankshafts in most of the engines we use today in karting, a radius washer (or at least some sort of thrust washer) can be very beneficial when placed on the crankshaft BEFORE the clutch is installed. Endplay still has to be checked and set correctly. Refer to your clutch manufacturer for their recommendations on how much endplay is suggested.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian, I very distinctly remember the day that I discovered what you just said. It happened after McCullough changed their design on the crankshaft. Just a small radius, (stress riser is what I think they call it) in the shoulder of the crank, where the clutch butted up against the shoulder, so the washer needed a matching radius on the ID. Not all that easy to see, and if you put it on backwards, (the radius was only on one side of the washer) the clutch would behave irrationally. lol for lack of a better word.

Didn't say what type clutch but -
If memory serves me correctly, Bully literature from a new clutch calls for a washer between the block and the clutch (I'm guessing it has to do with the crank radius), but I didn't see it on their website
End play should be .015-0.030.
End play is adjusted by putting a washer under the bolt/washer assembly holding the clutch on.

Yes. for the same reasons as above. Without a washer, the radius on the crank will swell the end of clutch, making it really difficult to remove drum/basket. May even be impossible without ruining end of clutch. Clutch will also stick on crank. There is not enough material in clutch nose to allow a radius and still have needed strength.

Back