Clutch lesson

New to this so bear with me please. Can someone please explain the practical differences and proper application of single disc and multi disc bully clutches. We just started racing in a rookie champ and maybe move to a Jr. Sportsmans class. We currently use a single disc bully but I don't have a handle on which clutches to use for different applications. Maybe there's some literature you can point me to? LO206 of course.

Its mostly about abuse . In my opinion .
Some claim theres speed in The single disc , do too the lighter weight . You would really have to be on your game .
Rookie your likely fine . Multiple restarts add heat , heat and slipping is one thing that causes wear . Discs wear and the steel plates warp .

Multiple discs share the load, being weight and engine torque. Really you probably the least number of discs and plates as you can get away with without creating too much heat and tearing up the ears on the discs. I have some modified motors that perform well with a 2 disc but if I run a 3 disc the tabs on the discs last longer.

You want the 2 disk for most things. The lighter jr classes you can run the 1 disk and if you're in a modified or super heavy class you want the 3 disk.

New to this so bear with me please. Can someone please explain the practical differences and proper application of single disc and multi disc bully clutches. We just started racing in a rookie champ and maybe move to a Jr. Sportsmans class. We currently use a single disc bully but I don't have a handle on which clutches to use for different applications. Maybe there's some literature you can point me to? LO206 of course.
Question: Are you running the adult black slide in your L2006, or a restrictor slide?
If you are running the adult slide, then a 2 disc clutch will be needed. Reason being, these engines produce a ton of torque.
If you are running a restrictor slide, (blue, green, red, etc.) then you can likely get away with the single disc, but a 2 disc will not hurt.
As mentioned above, heat kills clutches. Multiple starts and restarts (not uncommon in kids' classes) build heat and cause the steel plates in the clutch to warp. More discs = more surface area to help dissipate that heat.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

As long as you get either to grab and hold at or around engine peak torque, either are ok.

Butt, buy a 2 disk so you'll never have to worry about only buying a single disk.
3 disk is over kill used by either inexperienced low hp racers or used on higher hp engines. 50+hp

We used a 2 disk with 40hp and never had a problem with it.

So, IMHO buy a 2 disk clutch and when ya get real good at racing then you might try a 1 disk looking for a little bit extra in your program.

Question: Are you running the adult black slide in your L2006, or a restrictor slide?
If you are running the adult slide, then a 2 disc clutch will be needed. Reason being, these engines produce a ton of torque.
If you are running a restrictor slide, (blue, green, red, etc.) then you can likely get away with the single disc, but a 2 disc will not hurt.
As mentioned above, heat kills clutches. Multiple starts and restarts (not uncommon in kids' classes) build heat and cause the steel plates in the clutch to warp. More discs = more surface area to help dissipate that heat.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
This is my grand daughter running a red slide. Thanks for your info!

As long as you get either to grab and hold at or around engine peak torque, either are ok.

Butt, buy a 2 disk so you'll never have to worry about only buying a single disk.
3 disk is over kill used by either inexperienced low hp racers or used on higher hp engines. 50+hp

So, IMHO buy a 2 disk clutch and when ya get real good at racing then you might try a 1 disk looking for a little bit extra in your program.
Thank you!

they commonly use 3disc over 15hp. Weight of the vehicle and user understanding plays a big roll. Kids dont understand to keep it locked up and will burn a 2disc up in no time where a 3 survives

So, next question...Seems like I should be matching a clutch up to a particular motor. Do you do this by having the engine dyno'd, seeing the torque curve then setting the clutch up to lock up at or near the high torque rpm point?

Back