clutch not disengaging

I have two clutches that are not disengaging properly. One of them the discs are badly worn could this cause them to build heat and not work properly.

One cause could be the plates are warped and taking up the air gap or maybe the springs are toast.

exactly what you said...the air gap is too wide and the discs are worn...this lets the clutch levers open too far and stick in the engaged position. my son's clutch did the exact same thing. get with martinbuilt clutches or whoever you choose and get them rebuilt.

Have you checked the air gap, or have you checked the spring height on them and checked the engagement rpm? Some of the spring set screws could have backed out and lowered your engagement rpm too much, causing the clutch to try to stay engaged on you like your experiencing. Another thing is if you dont maintain the clutches every week, pull them off and check the needle bearing in the driver, those bearings need to be cleaned and lubed regularly or they can get dirty and try to seize up on you. I had a 2 disc horstman reaper clutch lock up on me this past weekend, i almost didnt get it off the crankshaft of the engine, when i did get it off i realized that the needle bearing in the driver had seized up and was keeping the driver from turning freely on the shaft, causing the clutch to stay engaged and not working properly. If i had pulled it off and lubed it properly in the last few weeks i would not have had that problem, but i neglected it because i have been busy with working and havent had the time. Now ill be taking the clutch off after each day of racing and cleaning it completely and relube the bearing and reassemble for the next weeks races.

Also check that the floater (steel disc between the two friction discs) is moving freely. The floater disc can easily rust and stick on the shaft splines. I've seen this many times.

I'll throw my name in the hat to rebuild it as well. :)

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back