clutch question

Pretty much at every drivers' meeting you will hear, 'You don't win the race in the first corner."

Well, you may not win it in turn 1, but I can guarantee you that it's easiest to pass the most cars when they're all bunched up entering the corner at half the speed that they will be the rest of the race. You can often times pass 3 or 4 cars in the first turn of the first lap....it's not often that you'll pass that many on any other lap after that. If you're a real smooth driver, sure, you might pick off a kart a lap after they get strung out around the race track. Jumping under someone and pulling even with them on the start to take away their line on corner entry is one of the best ways to pass in a kart, especially considering most kart tracks develop a single groove around the bottom of each end of the track.
Now, I'm certainly not condoning rough driving, but getting a good start is very helpful in passing cars before turn one - having a clutch that hits hard, at the right rpm, and "consistent" is a big step in overtaking on starts and restarts.

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Let's assume you have two very equal drivers, with very equal chassis, engines, chassis setups, and tires. They should turn nearly identical lap times. Let's assume you're one of these two drivers. Would you rather be in front going into turn 1 or 5 kart lengths back? That's why every racer that doesn't do their own clutch work needs to have a "clutch man" and maintain a good relationship with him. Keep that clutch fresh and tuned in. Don't give up positions on any lap, including the first.

Let's assume you have two very equal drivers, with very equal chassis, engines, chassis setups, and tires. They should turn nearly identical lap times. Let's assume you're one of these two drivers. Would you rather be in front going into turn 1 or 5 kart lengths back? That's why every racer that doesn't do their own clutch work needs to have a "clutch man" and maintain a good relationship with him. Keep that clutch fresh and tuned in. Don't give up positions on any lap, including the first.

X2 on that

thank you fellows,thats what I was thinking.does the setting need to match torque of motors?my clutch is coming in at 4200 on f/h

That's a question better asked of your engine builder.
I typically suggest bringing in your clutch stall at peak torque. You can vary a bit above or below that by 200 rpm to help compensate for different weight classes and track configuration, but as a general rule, you want the clutch to come in at peak torque.

I’m sure these are all good suggestions, but if you want to know for sure, do the bathroom scale check.
Put a bathroom scale between the front of the kart and a “strong” wall. See how many pounds the scale reads with different clutch settings with the throttle wide open. The higher the scale reading, the better you’ll be on the starts. Be careful, don’t stand on it too long and burn up the clutch.
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

here at Jammer when we rebuild a clutch we have a scale built intoo our dyno so we can check the rpm's and foot pounde of pressure the clutch is putting at the rear axle. that way we can tell the clutch owner the clutch is engageing at 3800 rpm. with 36 foot pounds at the rear axle. it takes a little longer to dyno but it shows at the start of the race

here at Jammer when we rebuild a clutch we have a scale built intoo our dyno so we can check the rpm's and foot pounde of pressure the clutch is putting at the rear axle. that way we can tell the clutch owner the clutch is engageing at 3800 rpm. with 36 foot pounds at the rear axle. it takes a little longer to dyno but it shows at the start of the race
And that’s only one of the reasons you guy’s are so good at what you do.

Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

Back