Clutch questions

Kartdad1r

I have a legel non restricted clone motor, and it has a "drum" clutch on there. I was told it was a stinger. I have no clue I am totally new to this karting thing. Ran stockcars for 12 years and now trying to get my 5 yr old daughter in this kart. Anyways what clutch should I put on there? I know there is many different clutches and settings for the clutch. I know I have to restrict the motor so I'm sure that plays a part as well from unrestricted to restricted? Was not sure if I should keep to the stinger clutch or bump up to something else? Thank in advance guys

The rules at the track you race are your first priority when picking a clutch. My experience is only with two cycles, but the disc clutch, in that area of competition, pretty much eliminated any centrifugal clutches.

The most important thing (after dependability) with any clutch is; can you adjusted it, relatively easily, to hold the engine at peak torque on the starts. If the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque, that torque is transferred to the axle, and with peak torque at the axle, you have peak horsepower at the axle. The formula works the same, at the engine or at the axle. Torque X RPM / 5252.1 = horsepower. In this instance, holding the engine at peak torque, all clutches perform, pretty much, exactly the same. With one exception; the amount of heat they produce while slipping. It takes power to generate heat, and that's power not going to the rear axle.

A bathroom scale, between the front of the kart and a strong wall, is a good way to measure how much torque is getting to the rear axle. When you find a clutch slip rate that generates the highest reading on the scale, that's going to be pretty close to what you want on the track. Be careful, don't over heat the clutch.

Most kid/rookie classes mandate drum clutch and usually a specific sprocket size on the clutch and axle. Usually this is track specific, the stinger may need different spring to be put in to adjust your stall speed, I'm guessing stall speed of 3000rpms.

I think your rules say drum clutch so, if it's working good I'd leave it on there. If you want/need a new clutch the Max-O-Torque is a very good one (don't get the cheaper one for yard karts) you can get a silver spring for higher engagement but not really needed. A 5 year old beginner is not going to be needing the ultimate clutch just yet. If you want to spend money the Hillard line is more adjustable and considered a top clutch.

http://www.hilliardextremeduty.com/infernokart/

btw, don't put your kart nose on a wall and nail the gas, best way to burn up a clutch in 2 seconds and you'll learn nothing. Just check your DA at the track and make a quick adjustment, no strain on anything. But like I say, get the Max Torque and go have fun.

https://cometkartsales.com/Max-Torque-Clone-Engine-Clutch.html

Sundog

i called AKRA and they said had to be drum style, i was told it was a stinger. but people will tell you anything sometimes to sell you something. anyways to tell if its a stinger? and if it is what should be in there for springs? or anyone i can send it to?

She's 5, the clutch will make 0 difference. Just run it as is (if the ratio is close). don't spend $.01 until she turns 8.

The biggest challenge is to figure out how to keep her from dragging the brakes the whole time!

Have fun with her and be patient.

Don't sweat the equipment for a long while

I have been using a Stinger clutch to haul my fat butt ( 250#) for several years and they are very good clutch's . Go to Premier's website and they have a spring chart that will help you out . http://www.noramclutch.com/go-kart-clutch/premier/stinger.htmlhelp . Depending on your childs size , you can decide on which springs to use , and they are fairly easy to change out . The most important thing with any clutch is to maintain them , and properly setting them up . To many shims will bind the clutch up , to little and it will most likely come apart while running it . Ask your local kart shop if they mess with them or ask around the track you are planning to attend and see who else run's them , and ask if they can give you some hands on advice .

great advice, im still in stock car mode for my self. want everything to be 100% perfect and get the winner circle lol patient is a must in this deal. it will be hard lol i want her to go out there and kick there ass :)

great advice, im still in stock car mode for my self. want everything to be 100% perfect and get the winner circle lol patient is a must in this deal. it will be hard lol i want her to go out there and kick there ass :)

I came from that world as well, trust me 5 yr olds don't always have that same drive and determination that we do.

Mentally prepare for the fact that you might work hard all week on the kart and she won't want to practice it or even race that day. That she'll get behind someone much slower and just follow them. That she'll pull off the track while leading just to take a break or she'll slow down to wave to mom in the stands.

She might rather play with the other kids at the track than race.

If you can make it fun, you'll make some great memories and create a stronger bond with her.

If you are doing it to win more races and collect more trophies, you'll probably both end up unhappy.

Thanks Mike, that is definitely what I got it for, some great memories and having fun with her. I will definitely keep all you said in mind. Baby steps right. We all didn't get where we are in a few races :)

Some thoughts on "having fun".

First off, you have to understand one thing, that phrase "having fun" means 100 different things to 100 different people. Winning trophies is "having fun" to some, maybe most. For me, "having fun" was all the things I did before the race in preparation for my "having fun" attempt to win a trophy. The trophy was just a symbol that while "having fun" I did everything "right enough" to be the best at that particular race. All that effort, leading up to that race, and the win/trophy of course, was all part of my "having fun". In the beginning, just learning how to drive the kart faster was "having fun". The key be in that, just driving the kart was one thing, fun enough for some, but learning how to drive the kart faster each time I went to the track, was, for me anyway, more "having fun".

Just driving the kart is fun too, but all my effort in trying to make the kart faster, was more fun. In my heyday, my first thought on waking in the morning was how to go faster. My last thought before drifting off to sleep at night, was how to go faster. That was fun for me.

Now I've never had a five-year-old driving a kart, so I can't say that I understand what they're going through, but I understand, as a builder/mechanic, what the adult is going through. Or should be going through, in my humble opinion of course.

I once build a go kart for my wife to drive, and I could hardly control my enthusiasm when she was on the track. I had to make a conscious effort to control myself. Not easy! Not exactly the same thing, but as close as I've ever been to what you're going to be going through.

While attempting to teach her how to drive, I discovered a question was much better than a statement.

Fun is in watching them learn and improve.
My 2 daughters one raced one did not,. Guess which wrecked the most vehicles.

Back