clutch questions

Matt450

I'm new to this whole thing but have a few questions about clutches. Do I really need to buy a $300 dollar bully clutch to race or can I just get a new $40 max torque clutch and race oval with that? Also Is there any negatives to having your clutch face inwards where the sprocket is closer to the engine? Just wondering thanks.

Mounting inward is most popular, read the instructions on how to set it up for your liking. Many people seem to think that for ovals the cheap ones are fine, as once locked up they stay locked. We just always just spent the money. Regardless of cost clutches need plenty of maintenance.

Thank you that helps a lot. Also do you happen to know if you can change a clutch with a non-#35 tooth clutch to a #35 tooth clutch or does the clutch have to built for #35 chain?

Some drum clutches have replaceable gears, some you have to change the whole drum.
What clutch are you asking about?

Its not branded and I didn't buy it but it looks like drum and sprocket are in one piece so I'd probably have to switch drums.

Its not branded and I didn't buy it but it looks like drum and sprocket are in one piece so I'd probably have to switch drums.

If it is not a 35 chain you better check the ID, it may be a 1 inch instead of 3/4. But stick with a 35 or you will have trouble getting rear parts like hubs and sprockets to mate with the chain to the axle. Not worth the trouble especially if you need them at the track.

Back