Clutch Recomendatioin

Ravens513

My Son runs Animal black restrictor plate. what type of Bully clutch configuration show we purchase, 3 disk 4 spirng, 6 spirng? seems a little confusing.

Was also considering buying a martin built clutch, any other I should look at? any other recomendations or considerations?

We run at nicholson speedway a 1/4 mile paved road course.

I would choose a vortex or bully. As far as 2 or 3 disc, it really depends on how much you'll be on and off the throttle. If your relitivly flatfoot and aint working the clutch alot 2 disc will be fine

Ryan Thompson Holeshot Clutches. 3 disk 6 spring for an on/off track. 2disk for flat foot track so it engages quick and stays engaged.

Thanks Brendan. Go with a 2 disc 6 spring. We have new ones here..comes blueprinted and choice of driver for $300. Call or PM if you want one. 443-942-5543

Ryan Thompson Holeshot Clutches - Ain't none better

And that’s the key thing, isn’t it? “None better".
If the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque on the starts, and isn’t producing a lot of extra heat, heat being a power loss, that’s the best it can do. I have always gone with the idea that “no” clutch has an advantage off the start, or corner, if all the different clutches are set the same. At Peak Torque.
Durability may vary between brands, but I think if a clutch has short comings there, most will know about it pretty quickly.
I’m pretty sure, if there was a clutch that really did perform better, that’s the one “everybody” would be using.

You don't need anything over a good two disc. A three disc is overkill for a restrictor plate engine.
I'd suggest a bully, something you can easily gets parts for.

-Shannon

And that’s the key thing, isn’t it? “None better".
If the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque on the starts, and isn’t producing a lot of extra heat, heat being a power loss, that’s the best it can do. I have always gone with the idea that “no” clutch has an advantage off the start, or corner, if all the different clutches are set the same. At Peak Torque.
Durability may vary between brands, but I think if a clutch has short comings there, most will know about it pretty quickly.
I’m pretty sure, if there was a clutch that really did perform better, that’s the one “everybody” would be using.

If one clutch isn't built as good as another..ie: not flat surfaces. Then a proper built clutch will be better every where. You can take two brand new clutches. Make them perfect in a perfect world. One has one type of discs, one has another. One is going to have a better lock up. They can't be exact. So there for I wouldnt say all clutches are even on starts or off corners if they are both set at peak torque. I like our clutches to come in 100-200 rpm before peak torque.

I already got his clutch and rebuilding it for him. He lives 15 mins from me.

Very nice thing finding the time to give a little extra to a new karter. Putting them ahead of others, who you reported will have to wait an extended period because you are swamped with business.

Thats awesome! Glad ryan at holeshot clutches got you straight. He is a great guy and very satisfied with his clutches. You made the right choice!!! :)

Very nice thing finding the time to give a little extra to a new karter. Putting them ahead of others, who you reported will have to wait an extended period because you are swamped with business.

Yep. Got a new helper today so we are knocking them out..getting back to 2-3 day turn around after we are finished today. And yep I swung by his house, picked up the clutch and looked over the kart to see if I could help.

He races at the track I raced at for 12 yrs of my career and he is in classes I ran there and hold records in so I figured I can help him out a lot like others helped us 15+ yrs ago. Not so much business as I have a lot of work.

Back