Clutch /seat clearance - how close can it go?

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

We are running a Hilliard Flame inboard using an Odenthal mount. To make room for a chain guard I may have to move the studs on the mount 1 hole towards the seat (about 6-7mm). This would leave me about 1/4" of clearance between the clutch bolt and the seat, and probably 1/4" of clearance from the drum to some seat hardware.

Is this just too close? Or is 1/4" of clearance still ok?

Depends on how big you are, big guys like me really push the seat out to the right quite a bit during cornering....

I don't get it, you're making room for the chain guard by moving closer to the seat? You mean the chain guard on the rear gear?

Rear sprocket may need to go over a little bit to make room for the sprocket guard. Right now the clutch bolt is about 1/2" from the seat and that has been fine. It's a cadet kart with very little room for anything.

My clutch is really close to my seat, in fact the bolt started to chew through the seat once. I've got my seat mount stiff enough now that it doesn't move any more, but I pop riveted a piece of sheet metal to that area of the seat so if it ever does make contact again it will take it some time to get through that. I take a look at it between races and so far there's no marks on it. This is on a Top Kart sprint chassis with an Animal. There's no room to work with on those and make the chain line up, so the engine has to be that close to the seat.

Back