Clutch

4zracing

Our bully 2 disc is being rebuilt and tuned. I don’t want my son to miss any seat time. We have a new never ran drum clutch with appropriate springs. What will the noticeable difference be?

It depends on the drum clutch, and how its tuned. We knew it was going to happen a year before our track was going to drums, and we decided to run a drum in a sea of disc clutches. Everyone sang the "you will suck on starts" song.
We finished 2nd in points that season,
Fact of the matter is discs grip better than drums... look at your cars brakes for a larger example.. but we are talking about locking up 10 horsepower or so.
Run it, you might wind up liking it more than you think.
We ran Hilliard stuff, btw. Reliability was fantastic (unless you drove it in a parade ... but thats part 2 lol)

It depends on the drum clutch, and how its tuned. We knew it was going to happen a year before our track was going to drums, and we decided to run a drum in a sea of disc clutches. Everyone sang the "you will suck on starts" song.
We finished 2nd in points that season,
Fact of the matter is discs grip better than drums... look at your cars brakes for a larger example.. but we are talking about locking up 10 horsepower or so.
Run it, you might wind up liking it more than you think.
We ran Hilliard stuff, btw. Reliability was fantastic (unless you drove it in a parade ... but thats part 2 lol)
I have a stinger premier with new springs and such. So did u notice lag or anything on the start

I like the Stinger , you should be fine . The most notable difference is they will get warmer than a disc when your pacing on the track . Once you are on the gas , and the clutch is locked up , there isn't much difference or much you will notice . Clean them often , and clean out the grooves from the flash that builds up between them with a file . It would flash more with us bigger guys than the smaller ones , so I would have to keep an eye on that . They are a little slower to grip and lockup than a disc , but not a whole lot with the smaller racers .You can set the stall a little lower than on the disc , and maybe it will lock up a little sooner and get you going , but personally , I would use the springs and lockup that it calls for for your weight . JMO

Back