Clutch

Bigred28

How do you guys keep your clutch form getting stuck on your crank … I have had this problem forever now and tried everything I could think it .. it’s a 3 disk Holeshot bully and the only way to get it off half the time is to beat it off don’t really like doing that to much. When you pay good money for a good product .. thanks …

As Ovaltech said, polish the crank after you remove a clutch EVERY TIME, make sure your key fits the clutch and crank and can move a little. I wipe a thin coat of Vaseline inside my clutch when I re-install and I make sure the clutch has a tiny bit of sideplay when tightened. I also found some 3/4 flapwheels on Amazon that I will lightly run thru the clutch before blowing it out and applying the Vaseline. Zero problems since I started doing this.

Also make sure that you use a radius washer on the crank BEFORE the clutch. Your clutch could be pressing onto the radius nearest the sidecover (which will result in damage to your clutch) and making your clutch too tight.
I use a small amount of Never-seize on the crank when installing the clutch.
Be sure to keep water away from your clutch when you wash your kart. We put a trash bag over the entire engine and clutch assembly when washing, or better yet - remove the engine from the kart.
Key should be a slip fit. If you have to tap it into place, then it's too tight. Simply file to fit.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Keep the clutch hub off the radius on the crank.

You can use washers to adjust the amount of endplay (for lack of a better word) that the clutch has on the crank. The washer has to be small enough in diameter to fit within the ID of the clutch hub. After I started doing that, and with disassembly after each race, never had an issue with the clutch sticking.

I will start my engine and use a piece of emery cloth or sand paper or a brillo pad to clean up the shaft , to make sure it's clean and has no burring around the key way . Just a slight amount of pressure is all it takes , and take the clutch off when not in use .

Back