clutch

Sure if you want to hang crank shaft stress out away from the strength of the case (yeah right... sure 3rd bearing support) , but as backward thinking as this is, that's what SHORT dd crankshafts halves were designed for. You change the crank half to a appropriate shorter stubbier dd crank half, the correct way & be done with all the potential problems you may create. Again most change the stubby out for a longer clutch crank half for the benefits of a belt or clutch drive, but karters are a strange lot from the get. :p yeah I know he wants to run a dd class for the organics & the feel of true clutchless kart racing... I owned a OEM Porsche speedster for over a decade & a half for the classy cool factor & blew 35k restoring it (sure I doubled my money but that was a side benefit) & drove it around town, but then I took it's first 3 week driving trip alone with my Shepard. After my first 8 hour spirited long distance driving day in the all new seat & car, I had to re cooperate at a hotel jacuzzi for a full day. I sold the car to Japan 3 months after I returned home and bought a Porsche 930 Turbo. Moral of the story is while the speedster was cool & classy it was impractical historical obsolescence. The 930 Turbo was practical, competitive, dependable, appreciating asset, a blast, cool, & a classy car that was modern comparatively speaking and a move forward in technology instead of a reach backward into the past. In short, nice to look at, or for a long term appreciating investment asset, but now that I've been there & done that, I wouldn't ever go back to it as a driving machine.

Put a drive gear on crank and go!

Back